Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx knocking noise

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
I'm thinking flywheel. The rattling/clutch knocking etc. is exactly what my car is doing and we are sure it's the flywheel, replacement is on the way.

Do yourself a favour and get a reputable solid flywheel & heavy duty clutch and rid yourself of the troublesome factory gear.

SSbeast

Reaction score
Could be loose bolts from flywheel to crank and the sound is the fly wheel moving. Everytime u unload the weight it comes free then load it up it hits the bolts. Get a screw driver and see if there is any free play on the flywheel.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Could be loose bolts from flywheel to crank and the sound is the fly wheel moving. Everytime u unload the weight it comes free then load it up it hits the bolts. Get a screw driver and see if there is any free play on the flywheel.

i would be care full but its a good suggestion along with the other suggestion to ditch the factory setup get a solid flywheel and heavy duty clutch, it will work much better but with apparently with the solid flywheel you may get what they call Harmonic Balancer Noise, its nothing to worry about but you need to keep an eye on your harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) its the big pulley at the bottom of the serpentine belt, it has a large rubber seal in it and two flywheels which makes sure that the engine, powersteering, water pump , air conditioning and alternator run in harmonic balance.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
I'm thinking flywheel. The rattling/clutch knocking etc. is exactly what my car is doing and we are sure it's the flywheel, replacement is on the way.

Do yourself a favour and get a reputable solid flywheel & heavy duty clutch and rid yourself of the troublesome factory gear.

Well...I replaced my flywheel and I still have the rattling on shutdown. The opinion seems to be the car is 'dieseling', still kicking after the ignition is shut off which is a timing issue apparently.

It's amazing how many issues aren't noticed when the engine is mated to an auto, but rear their heads when a manual box is bolted up...

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Well...I replaced my flywheel and I still have the rattling on shutdown. The opinion seems to be the car is 'dieseling', still kicking after the ignition is shut off which is a timing issue apparently.

It's amazing how many issues aren't noticed when the engine is mated to an auto, but rear their heads when a manual box is bolted up...
Potential causes Of Dieseling

This condition can occur for a multitude of reasons:
Built-up carbon in the ignition chamber can glow red after the engine is off, providing a mechanism for sparking unburnt fuel. Such a thing can happen when the engine runs very rich, depositing unspent fuel and particles on the pistons and valves. Similarly, non-smooth metal regions within the piston chamber can cause this same problem, since they can glow red. It has also been suggested that an improperly rated spark plug can retain heat and cause the same problem.
A carburetor that does not close entirely can contribute to running once the engine is off, since the extra fuel and oxygen mixture can combust easily in the warm piston chamber. Similarly, hot vaporized oil gases from the engine crankcase can provide ample fuel for dieseling.
Incorrect timing.
An engine that runs too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to combust.
An idle speed that is too fast can leave the engine with too much angular momentum upon shutdown, raising the chances that the engine can turnover and combust more fuel and lock itself into a cycle of continuous running.

Thought this might help