Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 Harmonic Pulley Removal

eddiethebullet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX Supercharger
Can anyone help me with the size of bolts needed to remove the harmonic balancer on a VX L67.. The bolts supplied with pulley toll remover are no good... I need to know size, length & where I can get them from.... I am stuck & need help PLEASE.... Cheers, Eddie.....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The where would be a nut n bolt shop.
What size no idea if you ask nicely they might help you work it out.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you need 3 1/4" x 2 1/2" unf bolts and washers to stop the bolts coming through the pulley

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Also if you have a cheapie puller the centre bolt may not be long enough to reach deep enough to the crank. I use a round metal bar about 60mm long (without digging it out and measuring it right now) and a diameter a little smaller than the hole in the crankshaft. Some people will put a socket inside the crankshaft and that works fine too. Whatever you use just make sure it's not gonna get stuck in there when you start applying torque to it or you'll have another issue to solve.

Bunnings have the bolts you need. You'll find them easy to screw in without the puller but they can be a bit fidgety to line up once you're actually fitting the puller. Take your time and use care. You don't want to cross thread them. After you've done it once it gets easier.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bunnings stocks bolts? It can't be true!

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
The pulley kit you purchased was it to suit a VX V6 or just a universal unit.
I bought a pulley kit just suited to the Commodore V6 which I'm yet to use and it includes five sets of three fixing bolts: 2 x1/4"UNF, 5/16"UNC, 3/8"UNC, 3/8"UNF and also includes installing adaptor sizes: 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8" & 3/4"UNF 12 x 1.5mm, 14 x 1.5mm & 16 x 2.0mm.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
D

devilly

Thanks lout you are correct.to be honest i was doing it how someone else said to do it on here.so basically i could have saved $60 on the pulley and just used my steering wheel pulley i had in the draw the whole time.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You can never have too many tools LOL! Oh well maybe try google as well in future before spending money as there are loads of good vids on utube how to do just about anything on a GM car they may help you save some time and $$