Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 wont' start, fuel pump?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey everyone, had a couple of issues with our VX L67. A couple of months ago it randomly wouldn't start it'd crank for days but not start, so I cleaned the battery terminals which helped but still didn't start. Finally replaced the fuel pump relay and away she goes.

Then this morning my wife tries to go to work and it's doing the same thing again, except this time changing the relay isn't helping.
Has the fuel pump cracked it? Or is this some other fiddly little thing that could be causing it?

2001 VX Calais L67 with 207,xxxkms.

Cheers

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Few whacks to the fuel tank while cranking and it starts... so I might start with changing the fuel filter tomorrow and if the problem persists change the pump .

If the car is starting after hitting the fuel tank then it can't be the filter as it is outside the fuel tank. The only thing in the fuel tank that can cause your symptom is the fuel pump or assembly.

Disconnect the fuel hoses in the engine bay (they are three on the mainframe) and have someone turn the ignition key to the on position (dont crank the car) and see if any fuel comes out. You might want to put a bottle there as you don't want flue spraying everywhere. If fuel does come out then your fuel pump is OK. But if you are hitting the tank and the car starting then i doubt any fuel would come out.

Good luck!

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
If its fuel problem, you can still start the car while pumping on the gas pedal/accelerator. Yea first you should take out the fuel filter. Try blowing in the old fuel filter intake nozzle, in the direction of the arrow printed on the filter. You should be able to blow, if not then the filter is clogged.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Thanks guys, fuel pump and filter getting replaced today hopefully that's the end of it. I think it has to be the pump if whacking the tank fixes it, can't be the filter as freefallin mentioned :)

Good idea about the accel pedal though..