Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx pwr window motor or relay (clicking)

arpee62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxII lumina wagon
Today I went to put the drivers window down, and all I could hear was a clicking sound from under the dash, and the window didn't move. I removed the plastic trim under the steering wheel, and located the clicking relay. There is only 1 relay marked "drivers window relay' and a fuse for ' pwr windows'. The other windows still work.

Is it as easy and cheap as replacing the relay, or is it the pwr window motor?

All help and suggestions appreciated.

Thx

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Id Say its the relay mate since its clicking like mad. You could always pull a same rated relay else where thats not required unless the motor is running just to test it.
My Relay Clicks like crazy if you close all 4 at once cause its over loaded, but your not suppose to do that lol

arpee62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxII lumina wagon
thx guys,
I will have another look over the next couple of days.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
you can tell by the clicking sounds.
If it clicks once each time you trigger the switch up or down AND clicks twice when you trigger the window down for over a second (ie. auto down) these two clicks will be about 4 seconds apart as it clicks to send the window down then clicks again to stop the window at the bottom.
If this happens its your motor, which is the most likely case

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
can u hear the motor clicking from the door? could have melted the plastic lugs in the switch common fault in both front and rear switches.

arpee62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxII lumina wagon
thanks for your suggestions guys.

problem fixed, replaced motor with second hand one after running power directly to the motor, and like a stunned mullet, there was no movement at all.

thanks again.

mantis3dfx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Id Say its the relay mate since its clicking like mad. You could always pull a same rated relay else where thats not required unless the motor is running just to test it.
My Relay Clicks like crazy if you close all 4 at once cause its over loaded, but your not suppose to do that lol

If it's only happening on one window, it's not the relay. The relay is simply getting a high flow of current and is clicking on and off to protect itself and the circuit. The problem is with either the motor struggling to move a partially jamming (tight and difficult to move) window mechanism, or the motor itself is shorting internally (or "poling"). Both scenario's will cause a much higher flow of current, which like a short, will cause the relay to protect itself by clicking on and off, due to heat from the much higher current trying to flow through it.

Ackerbilk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim S2
Today I went to put the drivers window down, and all I could hear was a clicking sound from under the dash, and the window didn't move. I removed the plastic trim under the steering wheel, and located the clicking relay. There is only 1 relay marked "drivers window relay' and a fuse for ' pwr windows'. The other windows still work.

Is it as easy and cheap as replacing the relay, or is it the pwr window motor?

All help and suggestions appreciated.

Thx
I had the same problem in my VT. I disconnected the drivers side power window motor from the switch behind the door card and then applied power to the motor and it worked fine. Proving it wasn't the power window motor. It ended up being dirty contacts at the switch. I followed this YouTube clip and all fixed. Thanks to denno021!!!!