Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX rear vision mirror blindspot

alanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais v8
Hi there. I have a question that may relate to a few Holdens with the normal external drivers side rear vision mirror. ( I have two VX sedans) I have adjusted it many times but still find that there is a definate blindspot in that a car travelling in an outside lane about 8 meters behind me becomes invisable. This has put the wind up me when I look in the mirror, don't see anyone, and then start to pull out to overtake only to find that a car appears out of nowhere. I have tried the little stick on blindspot eliminators but they are no good and illegal. I asked a holden spares place and they say they have not heard of this problem and that there is no better rear vision mirror available unless I buy a really big one and mount near the bonnet but this is for those towing caravans. Am I the only one that has this problem??

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
This was one of the first things I was taught when I started driving: always do a head check with your own eyes. It was part of my driving test and if I had forgotten to do a headcheck when changing lanes I would have failed my driving test. It was demonstrated to me quite clearly when I was a learner by slowing down and watching a car on the right come up behind me, then seeing it vanish in the blindspot and then reappearing in my peripheral vision alongside me.

You would actually need a convex wing mirror (a bigger version of the blindspot eliminator) to reduce the blindspot to the point where a headcheck isn't needed. But the image would be so distorted to the point of confusion and hence the reason it's illegal.

Driver education is so important. Give the headcheck a try before changing lanes and you won't have the problem any more.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
i dont trust rear vision mirror i look @ rear of car to see... before changing lanes

alanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais v8
Interesting reply about failing the test if you didn't do a headcheck. I do a headcheck most of the time anyway but not always. My point still stands. I don't see any labels on rear vision mirrors to say beware of the natual blindspot in this mirror. No big deal, I just thought I would ask the question.

W

wazzad

driving requirments

actually anyone will fail, in any state.
Headchecks are a vital part of driving, only when you have been driving for a while and are totally aware of the road you are driving on can you manage to drive safetly with just your mirrors.

Peace
Wazzad

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well I don't think you can drive completely safe without looking at your mirrors.

The only time I don't look at my mirrors when changing lanes is when I've been looking in my mirrors for the past 2 minutes and theres noone there, and I can't hear anyone.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
When i was taught to drive i was never taught using mirrors..it was alwayz a head check, sept for the rear vision glance....my safer turning your head....but i do agree that the VTs/VXs have bad blind spots

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Rear vision mirror, side mirror, indicator, check blindspot and then change lanes. That's the way I was taught. Also check rearview mirror every 10 to 20 seconds. The only time I have almost caused an accident when changing lanes, is when I been lazy and have not checked my blindspot. I hopped into me mum's VX to move it earlier today and it seemed that there is possibly a greater blindspot in comparison to my VR. :unsure: I think it's to do with the mirror being set back further, due to the curvature of their housing (although my seat is set back further towards the back of the car in the VR :D ).

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Its common sense that there are blindspots, they dont need to warn you on the mirrors. To pass your driving test you have to do shoulder checks.

Changing lanes, pulling out form the side of the road, while doing a 3 point turn, pretty much any move where another car could come form behind you.

They are called "shoulder checks" not "headchecks" because you loook over your shoulder.