Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Series 2 SS - potential project

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Previously owned VE S2 SSV & HSV Clubsport LSA.
Hi All,

Owned quite a few V8 commodores over the years. The last was Genf2 LSA. Loved it.

Moving into a property with a 7 car garage lol. Need to fill it with something!

Considering an early model SS project. Have my eye on a VX SS series 2 auto, at this point. 200k km on it.

My intention is to restore to high level, and likely rebuild/reinforce the LS1 and gearbox (will be done professionally). What I want from this project is something tough sounding and running right with solid reliable power. Not trying to break records, but want something fun and quick.

Would this be achievable on say a refreshed LS1 with some supporting mods and a cam? What kind of performance can I realistically expect from the LS1 (never had one - they've all been stock 6.0ltres or the 6.2 supercharged)?

End of the day I want to thing to be able to handle the grunt reliably. I'm not restricted by budget as such but have no intention to go super overboard. The idea is ultimately a really clean factory looking unit with solid running gear.

Any advice comments appreciated. I enjoyed the LSA Clubsport, but am more interested this time in an older classic model.

Cheers,
Matt

Reactions: Lex

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I went the NA route with my manual HSV VX GTS and eventually ended up with a 427 (bored/stroked) with a semi-aggressive cam. Power was great, torque not really spectacular, but it was fun to drive (except in stop-start traffic). After trading it in on a new HSV Gen-F2 GTS, I would never go the NA route again. The amount of usable power/torque and associated performance from a supercharged engine, throughout the rev range, is just awesome (as you have no doubt experienced).

By comparison, my NA 383 VS Calais (Holden engine obviously) was magnificent to drive with lots of torque, power and performance.

The VX models are very nimble to drive and park and very similar in that regard to the VS series. I would assume that the VY/VZ are similar. The main criticism I have towards the VE/VF is that they are, and feel like, a larger and more cumbersome car to drive. The smaller turning circle makes this worse.

Enjoy your VX project car if you decide to go in that direction.

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
I went the NA route with my manual HSV VX GTS and eventually ended up with a 427 (bored/stroked) with a semi-aggressive cam. Power was great, torque not really spectacular, but it was fun to drive (except in stop-start traffic). After trading it in on a new HSV Gen-F2 GTS, I would never go the NA route again. The amount of usable power/torque and associated performance from a supercharged engine, throughout the rev range, is just awesome (as you have no doubt experienced).

By comparison, my NA 383 VS Calais (Holden engine obviously) was magnificent to drive with lots of torque, power and performance.

The VX models are very nimble to drive and park and very similar in that regard to the VS series. I would assume that the VY/VZ are similar. The main criticism I have towards the VE/VF is that they are, and feel like, a larger and more cumbersome car to drive. The smaller turning circle makes this worse.

Enjoy your VX project car if you decide to go in that direction.

I think you've just about nailed it. The general consensus/feedback I'm getting is the NA LS1 wont behave the way I'm envisioning without being supercharged. If the LS1's are particularly doughy and require lots of revs, then its not suitable. Especially in an auto, I suspect..

Also agree with smaller/nimbler characteristics of the earlier models. What I'm hoping to achieve is the power delivery characteristics of the LSA (perhaps noisier/lumpier) in the chassis of an older "classic".

I appreciate the response.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Could go the route of a 383 stroker LS1 mate, never actually tried one myself but would imagine it would be a lot more torque than a stock LS1 as long as you dont go too overboard with your cam specs

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I have a VX SS II auto toy

With a smallish cam, OTR and full exhaust and mafless tune it is making around 270kwatw

The diff has 3.91 gears

The auto is shift kitted and it has a 2800 stall

Launches hard and it is a fun and reliable streeter that loves to cruise

At this power level a kitted 4l60e should last a while, if your lucky, mine has been getting abused daily with manual downshifts and is only now starting to act weird

It has pretty good fuel economy when you are easy on the throttle

Have fun

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride

With a smallish cam, OTR and full exhaust and mafless tune it is making around 270kwatw

The diff has 3.91 gears

At this power level a kitted 4l60e should last a while, if your lucky, mine has been getting abused daily with manual downshifts and is only now starting to act weird

Have fun

The diff has 3.91 gears

Have fun

Looks like I’ll be going ahead with the purchase.

The diff has 3.91 gears

Have fun

Do you need to rev the **** out of it?

It's looking highly likely I'll be going ahead with a particular vehicle. It’s a very clean stock example, can’t help myself.

It does have a leaking rear main seal however, which my mechanic has said to be fairly common. The plan is just keep it NA for a bit, drive it a little and tidy up any of these niggling issues.

I’ve owned a heap of high end performance cars from new, but haven’t modified many. In fact only a turbo skyline many years ago.

Few things I'd like to achieve out of it;

* I’d like 250rwkw minimum for now, in a strong reliable setup.
* I also want it to be able to cruise at freeway speeds comfortably (i’m unfamiliar with these stalls I keep hearing about, what does it achieve?). What kind of revs is it spinning at 110kmh?
* I'm expecting engine and gearbox rebuild/strength ultimately required, especially in the event of supercharging the LS1 (may or may not, but its certainly possible). But for now interested to know ballpark costs for the transmission rebuild? I hear the stock items are particularly weak.

Any advice on items likely needing to focus on which are typical to the model/age and being mildly modified is welcome!

Cheers

The diff has 3.91 gears

Have fun

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I'm only guessing because I've never had an LSA but your likely not going to be happy with an ls1 if performance is your goal and/or comparing cars.
As far as VX's are concerned, I think with their curves they are one of the best looking commodores made...biased though :p
I have mine cammed with trans built, 3.9 trutrak..you know exhaust etc...dyno'ed 404rwhp from memory. Realistically its a little less than that imo. Its a fun car to drive. Its quick for a vx and thats the point really you have to keep in mind. Its an old car...old tech and will never compare to an lsa etc.
Having said that my car gets ALOT of attention even for what it is. Makes it a fun car on that alone imo.

At the end of the day...
250rwkw is easily achievable with cam, bolt ons etc.
I think my car from memory, its a bit late now to test, but I think its doing around 2250 rpm down the freeway with 3.9 gears at 110. Its far from high even with that gear set. If your a country boy then it may be a little high.
I've had my 4l60 built...at the time it was suggested that its good for around 500hp...its still running fine and I have a pretty heavy foot. I dont do burnouts etc though so if your gonna drive it hard then not really sure.

I think @Ginger Beer has the right idea...its a nice cruiser and if you have a nice one then it will garner attention.

I'm just waiting on a supercharger on mine so cant comment yet...What I can do is comment on my pants.... used to drag on the ground...now they are choking my neck...bit light on now :p

Walmsley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah not worried about comparing to the LSA. I’ve thought about that. If that’s what it was about, I’ll just buy something fast out of the box. Done that numerous times now..

I enjoyed the linear torque of its power delivery, but at the end of the day I’m pursuing this project for different reasons. It’s the older style I’m really after, in a relatively quick package which I’m prepared to sort out.

Its more finding an extremely clean example, and sorting all the running gear up to par. Just a toy for the shed and a weekend run.

Last edited: