Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Series II R8 Custom steering wheel - Removal and possible issues

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
Hey guys,

Ive been looking into getting a aftermarket wheel for my car, i've found a wheel that is full sized in black leather with red stitching, which will match my interior as it is black with red stitching. the issue i have is i cant seem to find a Boss Kit that will fit a Vx, i understand that removing the stock wheel is illegal but if it looks tacky i will put the original back on anyway. This Mod is not to add virtual horse power and wank factor but to follow the theme of the car.

I have been told that a Vs Boss Kit will fit a Vx commodore? has anyone managed to install a Boss Kit into their Vx before? I was also wondering if disconnecting the factory air bag will cause any warning lights to come on or give me issues with any future modifications? removing the wheel seems fairly straight forward aslong as i can get past the hex key bolts that hold the air bag in place, theres a few guides floating around on the net but nothing in depth enough to get a proper understanding of what needs to be done. if anyone can post pictures of what they have done or give me any information on a recommended boss kit or steps to remove the factory wheel would be great!

lsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7L M6
you need to undo the 4 tamper bolts on the back of the air bag (hex bolts) then afew wires (horn) then there will be 1 big nut in the centre thats it.

you may need to remove the clock spring to fit the boss kit which will then give you an airbag ligh on dash (defect) if you decide to put it back to standard follow the insructions on the clock spring if you spin it to far you will need to buy another one.
you can get a kinchrome tamper set from bunnings for like $20 that will fit onto a socket set
hope this helps

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
So removing the air bag and keeping the original clock spring will stop the SRS light from lighting up when the car is driving? i assumed that there was a sensor in the airbag itself which would also cause this warning light? Ive heard that Momo make a VS boss kit that will fit the Vx though some people have had issues with the indicator mechanism. for the amount of effort and damage it might do to the car it might not be worth it.. if anyone has done this to their VX please let me know how it went and what the side effects where. thanks lsx :) it seems pretty straight forward, hopefully i have a tool that will fit but ill consider the kit as it can be used again in the future

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Yeah there is a sensor in the airbag, as soon as you unplug the airbag and turn the car on you will get an instant airbag fault light in the dash.
Which as Lsx said is a defect if you get pulled over, not that that will matter cause he will defect you for the steering wheel before he even sees the light, lol.
A much better option is to find a vy steering wheel with red stitching and use that, that way nothing is illegal, and your life isn't at risk