Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ss fuel consumption

Ijm 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Only getting 260km out of tank running it premium and not driving it hard at all had maf tune done has extractors high cats twin 3" exhaust has had 5g spent on trans hav been told should get around 450km out of tank

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Might want to look into new oxygen sensors if they haven't been changed for a long time, one of the main reasons for high fuel consumption.
They lose efficiency over time and don't necessarily throw a code.

Ijm 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Was gonna change them hav heard they could be the problem but didnt think it would change fuel economy that much been told after mafless tune it would get better but will definitely give it a try

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
How are you checking that you are getting only 260 km out of a tank, are you working out your litres per hundred km properly?
How many litres are you putting in to cover the 260 km, the fuel gauges on the VX SS especially the series two's are not very accurate.
The tank holds 75 litres so to use 75 litres for 260km you would be returning something like 28.85 L/100km, as an example my VX SS which I have had from new and is stock standard does around 10 L/100 km on the highway and if in traffic around town maybe mid to high teens per 100/km depending on traffic, I would fill it up to say maybe the 2nd click on the pump, drive your 260 km, go back to the same pump and repeat the process and note the km travelled and litres to fill again to say the 2nd click, find an online fuel calculator and see what it shows. Maybe monitor it by doing several fills and average it out.
You may find there is more fuel left in the tank even though the gauge maybe showing empty.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea try some 02's or when u take them out if they are all sooty then change them they should just be a tan clean sorta colour, easiest to do is full tank then reset trip and also look at the litres used that should be correct do if ur gauge says its empty and the liters says 50L used u still have fuel left and it may be s faulty fuel sender

Ijm 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Online fuel calculator said 22L/100 filled tank with 59 litres 3 clicks car was on 10 km left on trip computer wen i refilled hav never ran it empty will definitely monitor it

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
I get around 650 on a trip & 400 if lucky around town.
VU SS twin 2.5" exhaust, 100 cell cats, extractors, custom MAF tune. Premium / ultimate seems to make little difference with mine.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
As suggested...

1). Look at the O2's
2). Get your tuner to check the tune @ idle & partial throttle, as it might be way too rich...
3). Pull the spark plugs as they will tell you a lot on how its running.
4). Clean the MAF and check the IAT position(You will be surprised...).

230/230, Cam, Heads full 2.5 exhaust(manual thought...) and MAFless tune with
Stuffed O's Idle = 3.8Ltr/hr, Cruise @ <50% @60km/h in 5th 14.5Ltr/100 :(
After O's Idle = 2.8Ltr/hr, Cruise @ <50% @60km/h in 5th 10.5Ltr/100 :)
After O's Idle = Cruise @ <50% @110km/h in 6th 6.8-6.1Ltr/100 :D

Ijm 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Ordered o2 sensors hope it will make a difference spoke to someone today getting 650 km out of wh ls1 said it could b cause i did a mail order tune not dyno could this b the case

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
Only getting 260km out of tank running it premium and not driving it hard at all had maf tune done has extractors high cats twin 3" exhaust has had 5g spent on trans hav been told should get around 450km out of tank

Having the same issue myself on an 02 VU SS, and finding this thread, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, for anyone else coming along. I had some work some years ago - higher ratio diff, cold air intake, extractors, tune - so I get higher fuel consumption anyway because of the diff, and subsequent higher revs at 100km/h. But lately its been worse. My Range meter would read 110km left before I leave for work, and by the time i got from Hamilton to Coleraine - some 35km of country highway driving away, the range would say 45km left. The readout was just wildly inaccurate, but matched with the fuel gauge. 50 litres would get me about 300km. Carsales and the manual say I have a 70 litre capacity tank, but I've never put in more than around 55 litres, even when the petrol light comes on.

O2 sensors and fuel sender were potential culprits.

But i tried driving in diagnostics / engineering mode:
Press and hold <MODE>+▲
Turn the key to accessories
Continue to hold <MODE>+▲ for a second or 2, with the car still at accessories
Release <MODE>+▲ (You'll hear "budeep" sound)
Start the car from accessories (Don't turn the key to off anywhere in the process)

Now, pressing <MODE> scrolls you through a range of other diagnostic options, other than the original. Two of these options are Fuel Tank volume, and Fuel consumption. You can then monitor you actual fuel usage while you drive. I found there to be no significant fuel consumption issues, despite what I saw and interpreted. It's like a child - If you don't watch it, it's playing up, making a mess and drawing on the wall. Once you watch it, it behaves.

Note:
Pressing <MODE>+▲ and <MODE>+▼ in the process offers two different sets of diagnostic readouts, most of which I don't know. So if anyone has the list of what they all actually mean, that'd be great.