Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss water pump stuffed

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
hi flushed my radiator on the weekend and once i was done a couple of the pullies started screaming so i pulled the thermo fans back out to pin point exactly what pullies it was, i ordered the new pullies and when i was putting them on my water pump started leaking right in front of my eyes!! :hmmm:

so...what i need is a how to on replacing the water pump???

did a quick search but couldn't find anything, looked pretty straight forward until i seen the bolts under the throttle body going into the back of the pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Replacing the water pump on the LS1 is about a 20 minute job. All the bolts that hold it on go in from the front, there are none from the rear. Those bolts you see do not hold the pump on. But expect to pay between $300 - $400 for a water pump....

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
Thanks mate i got a pump today $250 with coolant and gasket seal, trade price. i had a look at the new pump and realised it would be easy as, the bolts i saw under the throttle body are just holding the plate on the back of the pump, i'l give it a go tomorrow, thanks for your help

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Has anyone got pics or a link to a guide on how to do this?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I did this to my clubby with out a guide been on since 2009 with no probs.

-take off serpentine belt using a 10mm spanner on the tensioner and turning it clockwise to release the tension (its a reverse thread so it will not undo :) )
-disconnect the two heater hoses, top radiator hose, and thermostat hose.
-undo the 6 bolts holding the pump on
-remove pump
-clean up old gasket on the two ports until it ####ing clean as god using a paint scraper.
-place new gaskets on ports I used some high temp silicone to hold them there.
- line up pump making sure the gaskets do not move.

Now its just reverse of removal, torque for bolts are 11 foot pounds on the first attachment then 22 foot pounds on the second pass , I did mine without a torque wrench, I just did it up snug and a 1 eighth/quarter of a turn as the block is alloy its vital not to over tighten also using loctite is recommended.

Also you can re use the thermostat off the old pump if yours did not come with a new one but if its very old I`d replace it just for preventive maintenance.

If I`ve missed anything let me know as I t was nearly 4 years ago and I may have missed a little detail.

Last edited:

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
cool goto get a water pump found one on ebay 198 with thermostat but i just put a new thermostat in about 2 months ago

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
take the new one off and sell it back on egay for $55 with free postage it will sell quick. or alternatively sell the slightly old one.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Your coolant must be newish?? if so catch it in a clean big bucket and reuse it, just don`t get it dirty. Tip place a plastic bag over the top while its sitting.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
yeah its more distilled water atm probably topping up 650mls a week just a constant weeping from the pump seal, didnt even think of selling the new one on ebay thanks for the idea

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the instructions from the Holden Service CD.