Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx towbar

onlinejames

Reaction score
does anyone have some instructions how to install a vx berlina towbar, 2100kg H R towbar
i cant find any info on it, its a secondhand one , with parts im not sure where they go, there is 2 parts, the tow bar and another smaller part and 2 curved parts
any help would be great thanks
towbar.png

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I got one from a wreckers second hand. But I took mine to a place that fits exhaust systems, towbars, etc and they only charged me $30 to install it. Rear bumper bar has to come off (one the wh it does but not sure about vx).

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
My son and I just installed the same bar on my VT Acclaim wagon. Believe it or not, the sedan and wagon bars are the same. just remove your bumper bar and reo, fit the towbar to the reo studs, put the reo back on and tighten the nuts. You will find the towbar has plates with mounting holes drilled in them. Drill through the holes into your wheel well (remove wheel first) and place the extra curved plates in the wheel well. It will be obvious where they should go. Now push the mounting bolts (hmm, I do not see mounting bolts in your pix) through the holes you drilled, install nuts and washers and tighten them. I should add here that the bolts needed are high tensile. If you do not want to see your trailer overtaking you, use the correct bolts. Now you can drill the remaining holes in the plates in the wheel well and install the nuts and bolts. Wiring is simple as the trailer wiring is colour coded. Like this:
Wiring colours on VT and VX:
Left indicator = light blue wire
right indicator = dark blue wire
parkers = brown
stop lights = blue/red trace wire
earth = black/blue or black wire

use one of the rear light clusters, you can get your earth, indicator, stop, tail (and reverse lights if fitted to your trailer). Its easy to do yourself, the plug pin number and wire colour is;

1. yellow - left indicator
2. black - aux
3. white - earth
4. green - right indicator
5. blue - aux
6. red - stop
7. brown - tail
If anyone can see any errors, post corrections. This is the way we did mine and it works well.
The 2 auxilliaries are for items like electric brakes, reverse lights and general power for electric appliances etc

onlinejames

Reaction score
My son and I just installed the same bar on my VT Acclaim wagon. Believe it or not, the sedan and wagon bars are the same. just remove your bumper bar and reo, fit the towbar to the reo studs, put the reo back on and tighten the nuts. You will find the towbar has plates with mounting holes drilled in them. Drill through the holes into your wheel well (remove wheel first) and place the extra curved plates in the wheel well. It will be obvious where they should go. Now push the mounting bolts (hmm, I do not see mounting bolts in your pix) through the holes you drilled, install nuts and washers and tighten them. I should add here that the bolts needed are high tensile. If you do not want to see your trailer overtaking you, use the correct bolts. Now you can drill the remaining holes in the plates in the wheel well and install the nuts and bolts. Wiring is simple as the trailer wiring is colour coded. Like this:
Wiring colours on VT and VX:
Left indicator = light blue wire
right indicator = dark blue wire
parkers = brown
stop lights = blue/red trace wire
earth = black/blue or black wire

use one of the rear light clusters, you can get your earth, indicator, stop, tail (and reverse lights if fitted to your trailer). Its easy to do yourself, the plug pin number and wire colour is;

1. yellow - left indicator
2. black - aux
3. white - earth
4. green - right indicator
5. blue - aux
6. red - stop
7. brown - tail
If anyone can see any errors, post corrections. This is the way we did mine and it works well.
The 2 auxilliaries are for items like electric brakes, reverse lights and general power for electric appliances etc

thanks for this, so the curved bits actually are located in the spare wheel well ?
the main bar was simple to work out, the second part looks like it bolts onto the angled part of the towbar which has 2 bolt holes and goes up into the body of the car, which at that time are lined up with the curved bits inside the spare wheel well and are bolted to them, is this correct
with out the car in front of me with the bumper off im only remembering what i seen under it
thanks again

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Yes, the curved bits are fitted in the wheel well...You seem to have the idea. once you start, it becomes fairly obvious. Also, considering the amount of steel involved in the Hayman Reece towbar, I thought it was overkill to replace the reo so I left it off. Don't forget the H/T nuts and bolts. Mine was easy as I had to take the whole thing off a VX sedan so the bolts came with it. Bolted on my wagon no problems. Anybody who runs into the back of my car will think they hit a tank

Rob_VT

Smacked Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vt exec, 2003 v2 monaro cv8
the towbar fits as said above, i put mine on myself.
you may have to cut a hole out of your back bumper but it will be marked on the inside, just stitch drill it out with a small bit, and file and then sandpaper, will be good as gold.
also, you can buy plug in harnesses from holden for about $60(or cheaper from wreckers i paid $37)
there ribbon cable so you can close the boot on it, it has 3 plugs one for the lead u pull out of brake light, one onto the brake light and a yellow which will be tucked up and taped a little bit back, just trace the cable out.
then you wont have to drill a hole in the wheel well or mount a plug bracket.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Rob, can you tell me if the VT Acclaim wagon has the trailer connection in the harness? I could not find it