Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 gearbox mount

2010patrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8
Hi guys.

I got a VX Berlina V6 auto and there is always a viabration and noise when the car is idling in D or R. as soon as the car starts moving it goes away. I am assuming it is the gearbox mount which is stuffed and needs replacing.

What do I have to do to change the mount? Is it just a matter of supporting the gearbox with a jack, removing the crossmember and removing the mount?

Any info will be greatly appreciated as I want to save a bit of money and do it myself rather than take it to a mechanic.

Cheers!

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Pretty much just that....but be sure to mark the position of the crossmember beforehand so it goes back where it came from.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My mount just arrived today and I am going to replace it right now. I will let you know if any problems arise.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Except for the one bolt that always gives you trouble it came out easy. Just degreased everything and waiting for it to dry.
Edit: It turns out that the old mount was not broken but it had sagged about half an inch compared to the new one.

Last edited:

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
I had a similar issue with my VXII berlina - turned out to be engine mounts. If you do them too, one side is really easy, the other side is really easy once you remove the air con compressor ;-)

2010patrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8
My gearbox mount arrived today so I will give it a go on the weekend! I was just gonna drive the front of the car onto ramps. What did you guys do?

Cheers!