Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx - vy L67 into vs ute with t5

wil628

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ser 2 5.7
Hi all,

There is probably a thread about this already, but im not that great with navagation, can someone please help point me in the right direction, or help answer a few questions?

So iv got a vs ser 1 ute with t5 gearboxand 220 on the clock. I was just going to put a vx motor in, but iv since found out my extractors wont fit a vx engine, so if im changing engine and extractors im going to put a L67 in. Im going to try roll into the mechanics with everything he will need already in the tray of the ute. With my limited knoweledge, i think ill need:

L67 with intake piping
New plug in loom to hook up to my vs manual loom
extra thermostat sensor

Do i need different coolant pipes?
Do i need a new fuel pump, or pressure regulator?
Does anyone know what extractors will fit a vx/v7 L67 and t5 gearbox? iv rang a couple places and they dont know.
Im going to get the engine pulled down, new gaskets, pulleys and belts. Anything else i should do while it out of the car?

iv always had v8's, this is my first charged 6, so im learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi all,

There is probably a thread about this already, but im not that great with navagation, can someone please help point me in the right direction, or help answer a few questions?

So iv got a vs ser 1 ute with t5 gearboxand 220 on the clock. I was just going to put a vx motor in, but iv since found out my extractors wont fit a vx engine, so if im changing engine and extractors im going to put a L67 in. Im going to try roll into the mechanics with everything he will need already in the tray of the ute. With my limited knoweledge, i think ill need:

L67 with intake piping
New plug in loom to hook up to my vs manual loom
extra thermostat sensor

Do i need different coolant pipes?
Do i need a new fuel pump, or pressure regulator?
Does anyone know what extractors will fit a vx/v7 L67 and t5 gearbox? iv rang a couple places and they dont know.
Im going to get the engine pulled down, new gaskets, pulleys and belts. Anything else i should do while it out of the car?

iv always had v8's, this is my first charged 6, so im learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Head on over to L67torque.com you will find more answers by searching over there.

But I can tell you, just retain your current extractors, im not sure who told you they wont fit, but they do.

Also keep the current manual PCM as not all Auto PCM's can read manual speed sensors, and if you did happen to get one, it will require some re-pinning the plugs, and a new tune anyway. The ecotec engine harness will requiring some lengthening to suit the L67 engine, mainly drivers side injectors and the coolant temp sensor relocation. you may even get away with unwrapping the harness and taping it up again to suit.

You will need a custom tune as your running a manual gearbox, a few members on here may be able to help with this, otherwise it will need to go off to a reputable dyno tuner.

Dont forget to have the flywheel match balanced to an L67 flexplate as they run different counterweights to an ecotec and will require new balance to avoid vibration.

You need a new top coolant hose.

You can keep the current fuel pump, however it would be recommended to upgrade, especially if you start with the mods etc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Head on over to L67torque.com you will find more answers by searching over there.

But I can tell you, just retain your current extractors, im not sure who told you they wont fit, but they do.

Also keep the current manual PCM as not all Auto PCM's can read manual speed sensors, and if you did happen to get one, it will require some re-pinning the plugs, and a new tune anyway. The ecotec engine harness will requiring some lengthening to suit the L67 engine, mainly drivers side injectors and the coolant temp sensor relocation. you may even get away with unwrapping the harness and taping it up again to suit.

You will need a custom tune as your running a manual gearbox, a few members on here may be able to help with this, otherwise it will need to go off to a reputable dyno tuner.

Dont forget to have the flywheel match balanced to an L67 flexplate as they run different counterweights to an ecotec and will require new balance to avoid vibration.

You need a new top coolant hose.

You can keep the current fuel pump, however it would be recommended to upgrade, especially if you start with the mods etc.

I couldn't have said it better myself :spot on:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Yea i did this same conversion for a mate. I just fitted an l67 loom as lengthening the stock loom was a disaster lol. Had my tuner mate tune it up.. All good. They go so well with a manual

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was just going to put a vx motor in, but iv since found out my extractors wont fit a vx engine, so if im changing engine and extractors im going to put a L67 in.

I don't understand this reasoning. Your extractors don't fit so you're going to change the engine?

What do you mean your extractors won't fit a VX engine? They're the same engine as a VS, same with the L67, they have same bottom end and head design.

bushsurveyor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 y series clubsport
The idea of getting an XU6 and plugging a manual gearbox on to it is my idea of a good drivers car for retirement.
Can anyone tell me the best manual gearbox to put on an L67 donk. I have a 5.7 clubby, but need to cut expenses a bit. Ive also heard a mild cam does wonders for the l67? true or false. Any help would be appreciated.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A cam can wake them up a bit but before that you need to increase the boost.

Personally, I'd go with a T56 conversion but then you will also need to change the diff gears to a more suitable ratio otherwise I'd go with a T5.

Bit of a thread dig, you're probably best off starting new thread unless your post can contribute to the OP.