Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Wiring Fuel gauge fault

SGrantS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, VX sedans, VX SW. all 3.8. VE 3.6 X cop chiped
Gidday,
A customers VX 3.8 came in with multiple faults, oil, traction, engine fault, ABS lights and radiator fans running full time, I have fixed all this with a 2nd hand ABS module and OBD fault code clear. The fuel gauge goes to F when Ign is on, The gauge/Instrument self test show everything is 100%, I've done the fuel gauge re calibrate, no fix, gauge does the same even when the plug to the sender is disconnected!? Ive traced the wiring from tank to dash and no obvious faults there, Any Ideas?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Gidday,
A customers VX 3.8 came in with multiple faults, oil, traction, engine fault, ABS lights and radiator fans running full time, I have fixed all this with a 2nd hand ABS module and OBD fault code clear. The fuel gauge goes to F when Ign is on, The gauge/Instrument self test show everything is 100%, I've done the fuel gauge re calibrate, no fix, gauge does the same even when the plug to the sender is disconnected!? Ive traced the wiring from tank to dash and no obvious faults there, Any Ideas?
I changed my pump & sender last month? Reason my fuel gauge wasn't working.
So, l thought l'll just change the pump & sender & be done with it, <$64.

When under the car was checking out the wiring connections, they were filthy. There is a extension piece between the pump, down near the fuel sender. Both connections were fithy too. Cleaned all connection & reassembled. Pump & fuel gauge works fine.

I'm wondering if l only cleaned all the electrical connections, would the fuel gauge have worked?

Hope this helps?