Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy 2 calais ls1 brake pads and rotor

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Just noticed a slight grinding noise when braking so had a look and it appears I need new pads and one of the rotors is roughed up from the grinding.
is it worth replacing all the rotors with an aftermarket sort or just that one... or does it even require it?
Also what pads should I put in?
just genuine ac Delco?
figure if I can put some decent aftermarket rotors and pads in while it needs doing I might as well or are genuine pretty good?

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I put in RDA rotors when I done a pad change, but only done this as I had warped front rotors, and didn't bother to get them machined (the new RDA rotors were cheap enough so couldn't justify machining the current ones)

They've been on the car now for 40,000km, and are problem free for daily driving, no complaints and no warping issues since.

If you dont get any wobble when braking/no warping, and as long as your rotors aren't too thin (if you have low kms you're probably okay - you can verify thickness with a micrometer, or if you don't have one check with your local mechanic), and if you're on a budget, you should be fine to just change your pads provided you bed them in properly once fitted. The grinding is probably just the wear indicator in your current set of pads.

EDIT: I re-read your first post. You said your rotor is roughed up from the grinding. Just replace it, and the other corresponding side - always replace in pairs.

Get a brand name of pads, e.g. bendix etc. I went with RDA Extreme pads, they're just your average pad, nothing flash, but no complaints either.

Last edited:

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Another +1 for RDA rotors:

I had terrible shudder from the crappy OEM discs, after changing to these, 20,000km in they are great!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
rotors themselves feel ripply when running your finger up and down them.

no real issue when braking apart from the now grinding.

the drivers rear rotor is starting to scuff up from the grinding on the outside edge...

are the RDA just a generic oem replacement style. what price are they each roughly...
the dude at repco said the repco ones were $65 each
waiting on a price of genuine ones.

im thinking if im going to all the effort do actually do them i might aswell replace the lot with something a bit more decent. i was thinking dba T2 for $390 a full set or should i not bother?

what sort of pads would your recommend. i got some general CT bendex for my old vs and i guess they were ok. wouldnt mind some low dust ones though... repco quoted $75 a pair, dont know what type of bendex they were though... seem expensive if its the general CT ones
or are the AC Delco ones fine?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If it's just a daily hack and your on a budget, DBA standard rotors and bendix pads. Can't go wrong.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Standard sized slotted is enough. Standard Bendix pads.
If you get too aggressive with pads you will get heaps of brake dust and chew rotors quicker than necessary.
Thats probably the combo i'm going to replace my setup with on the Monaro. If i do get a chance to do the brakes properly i'll be going 6/4 pot caliper combo this time round.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd get some sort of slotted rotors, you can get DBA on sale sometimes, they make a nice one which is coated on the hub so it won't rust .I'd go genuine on the pads as they are low dust and last a long time, sure they cost a lot but they last, they also have a backing layer on them which AC Delco ones do not. RDA pads also have this backing layer and can be got for a good price on e-bay. When you replace the rotors make sure your hubs are free or any loose rust or scale so the new discs run true.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
had someone check out the rotors, fronts are pretty good so will just replace the rears.
got trade price on rotors so going genuine. even retail price was under the price repco gave me....
and have already ordered the ac delco pads. Im sure they will be quite similar to the gm ones anyway. whats this backing layer your talking about?