Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY 2004 LS1 Crewman Differential

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would that be the same if a T56 trans? Or did Crewman's have a different manual trans? Doesn't say whether the OP has auto or manual.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
In V6 they were all auto.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In V6 they were all auto.

If it is a 4 speed auto and has 3.08 then 4.1s will likely be too short. 4.1s would be about as much as you'd want to go T56.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
VY SS 2004 LS1 Crewman Differential.
I’m thinking of changing my differential to a 4.11 because I want all Grunt on take off what do you guys think?
Own a few Ls1's and the VZ SS crewman with soild axle is a fun drive but 4.11 would be too low i recon,

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What would you suggest.
Assuming it is presently 3.08 then I would suggest you go for under 4.00 but you need to know what the present ratio is and also if your speedo is correct or, like most speedos, not correct.
Another consideration is diameter of tyres you are running or plan to run.
On a Crewman, even an LS you will be spending a considerable amount in relation to the cars value, to fit a new true trac, but of course if money is no object then go for it.
As quoted in post #2, to go to 4.11 will be an increase of approx 33%-34% from 3.08 ??.
If this is a drag car then 4.11 will be good but for a streeter/daily way too high IMO.
But as I said, we have all done it, we have all thrown money at cars and said, oh krap, dat was not a good idea.

Last edited:

Stephen Bartlett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY as crewman
Assuming it is presently 3.08 then I would suggest you go for under 4.00 but you need to know what the present ratio is and also if your speedo is correct or, like most speedos, not correct.
Another consideration is diameter of tyres you are running or plan to run.
On a Crewman, even an LS you will be spending a considerable amount in relation to the cars value, to fit a new true trac, but of course if money is no object then go for it.
As quoted in post #2, to go to 4.11 will be an increase of approx 33%-34% from 3.08 ??.
If this is a drag car then 4.11 will be good but for a streeter/daily way too high IMO.
But as I said, we have all done it, we have all thrown money at cars and said, oh krap, dat was not a good idea.
Thanks for your comment maybe motive 3.9. Speedo is about one or 2 km out under Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
3.9 might be too short still if four speed auto. @Immortality would likely know for sure. 3.7 might be the ideal with a 4L60e.