Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY 3.8 ecotech or VZ 3.6 alloytech??

asap88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
Yeah, touque down low in the Alloytech 190 isnt something to write home about.

LOL yeah I noticed that driving my brothers sv6 so whats it going to be like in the standard alloytech ?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Even worse

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
If your after a race car buy a V8..
If your after a nice smooth quite ride buy the VZ with the alloytech.
Admittedly the VZ is slower off the mark than my old VT, but it gets up & going up around 3500RPM, well it's faster enough for me anyway..

VYfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 II 3.8
Thanks for all of that feedback, I'm glad I asked. Some good info there as to why like diff ratio and electronic throttle. Glad I stuck to my guns and got a VY Berlina 3.8. :thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
put a 3.46 lsd behind a 175 wagon and there aint no sluggish take off, i love it,

the thing i ove most it when your driving at night, pull up against someone in a vn/vp, eat them off the mark until you get to 50 then cruise upto 70 (speed limit), pull up at the next set of light and watch the lad go for gold giving it as much as he can, and you pull away like normal lol i love it

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
put a 3.46 lsd behind a 175 wagon and there aint no sluggish take off, i love it,

Andyman, will the same diff ratio fit the 190 SV6 sedan?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I went with the VY cos i love the shape, especially the front as opposed to the VZ.
The tear drop headlights are also sexier than the VZ ones. The VZ lights look unfinished in my opinion....

:eek: Seriously? I've always thought the front is where the VZ craps all over the VY. The bonnet lines look more aggressive, and the front grill is much larger. The lights are much of a muchness, I have the SS lights anyway :p

mellohsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx/vz
vz slug

iam guttered just bought a vz v6 station wagon for the missis and when i test drove it i didnt want to give it heaps cause the owner was an older guy so i nursed it along then when i drove it home and put my foot down the acelerator was stiffer than the older commy's and it had no pull. i said nothing to the missis and within a day she said it was gutlis and slower than her old 3l vl on take of. i agree. now iam thinking i should have gone for the vy but then again its in almost new condition and got it cheap.
i agree the v8's are not much dearer on fuel ive got the vx hsv cluby

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
my old man reckons they are a better motor than the VY. He didn't say more power but he said the 3.8 is a push rod motor.
Push rods or not, they are both rough as guts.

The ecotec works better as a daily driver because the low down torque covers up the 4sp autos hesitance to shift down.

With a manual i'd rather have the alloytec.

my 2c.