Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy 3.8 ute

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Hi,
Can anybody help me.
My vy 3.8 uses around 11l/100km on the freeway and abot 18/100km around the city. Is this ok, seems high from some stories that I have read.
The other thing is the computer display. It always reads from around 16.5 in the city up to about 23.
Dealer says that is ok but I am sure it only went to a maximun of 14.5 when car was new. Also the av speed display never risers above 54 km/hr even on freeway.
Always reset it etc. Are the dealers stuffing me around and don't they know how to fix it.
Can anybody help?

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
That does seem high, especially for a ute. Are you using good quality fuel? Try running a complete tank of 98 in it, making sure you do a reset. Also, do your own calculations of fuel economy, that way you can tell if it is something else that the car may be computing wrong. Do you have any mods - wheels, tyres, etc? How many klm's has it done?

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
furrhead

Thanks slooth.
It is a standard storm ute 3.8, no mods at all done 8500kms. I drive it very easy, no thrashing.
I always use 98 fuel and have done my own calculations. But as the dash computer seems to operate strange to me I have no idea what is accurate. It has been back to the dealers 6 times, called Holden but they always say it is ok.Banging my head on a brick wall. Thats why I am trying to get some feedback before I go back again.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Sounds like the common response from Holden service centres is "it is ok". My motor was ok for 2 years ticking away (apparently), now it is sitting on their service centre floor in pieces after the Holden Rep told them it was buggered and NOT ok! Tell them you have had a gut full and it has a dash display problem and you want it fixed. My VY never goes over 14.5 either. Thats normal. If the service centre won't fix it, call Holden, not the dealer. Worked for me with my engine. Don't give up. There is a warranty, use it mate.

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Furrhead

Hi Woogler,
Have been on to Holden 3 times and all they do is ring the dealer who then tells me to bring the car in.
All they do is say the cars ok. But for 6 months it never went over 14,s. Now you can't keep it under 17 and fuel use is high. They plug their tech 2 into it but it says its fine and thats it. I don,t think I am stupid but don't know what to do next as I find Holden Headquarters fairly useless in this matter. How did you get onto the Holden rep?

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Hi furrhead,
I was reffered back to the service centre. I was able to convince them that there was something wrong with the engine with the fact that it was ticking away. I just don't understand why they won't pursue your complaint???? If the thing is reading incorrectly, and tech 2 doesn't fix the problem, then you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that the problem is elsewhere. What was their reason for your car changing its fuel consumption by 3L/100km since new? Its obviously got a serious problem. Mine got better as it ran in!!! If you are not getting a suitable solution from your dealer, try another. I can also ask my local dealer for advice if you like. The rep/engineer attended as a result of my service centre not being able to find the cause of the ticking noise and reporting the fault higher.

Last edited:

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
furrhead

If you could ask your dealer for advice that would be great.
As for mine, they have said that my driving style may have changed, the petrol may be different??? But I use the same garage and petrol all the time. I am totally fed up with the whole thing. Went to another dealer and drove a vy used car from the lot and I couldn't get it above 14.5. So its not me.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
I asked my service centre today. They said a few things. First of all, your service centre should be definitely looking elsewhere if you are complaining of a fault that they can't find with tech2. He also sugested you could put 2 tanks of premium through it. And perhaps an injector cleaner. He also said try another service centre if you weren't satisfied.

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
furrhead

Hi Woogler,
I always use premium since new. I will try another dealer but assume they are all much of a muchness.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
furrhead said:
Hi,
Can anybody help me.
My vy 3.8 uses around 11l/100km on the freeway and abot 18/100km around the city. Is this ok, seems high from some stories that I have read.
The other thing is the computer display. It always reads from around 16.5 in the city up to about 23.
Dealer says that is ok but I am sure it only went to a maximun of 14.5 when car was new. Also the av speed display never risers above 54 km/hr even on freeway.
Always reset it etc. Are the dealers stuffing me around and don't they know how to fix it.
Can anybody help?

Furrhead, we have a VY ute company car and it gets about 11L per 100 ks, it was still a bit tight at 8,000ks though, it's faster now at 15,000