Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ABS fault

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
I have a VY and lately my abs has been coming on when I haven't been breaking that hard, Not sure what would be the cause. Is it Maybe a sensor ?

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Very likely its a sensor. are you saying the ABS is activating and pulsating the pedal? or that the warning is coming up on the screen?

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
This may or may not be relevant to your situation but a few years back I had to replace the solenoid pack on the ABS on my VY II Berlina. Bad solder joints in this assembly caused failures and was apparently a known issue. Symptoms seen included an ABS failure alert sound at start up, and the climate control system failed to work meaning no air con operation. The brakes will operate as normal, however obviously with no ABS function. Solution is to replace the solenoid pack (very easy task) with a re-worked unit from a number of repairers that can be found on eBay. The reworked part is way cheaper than a dealer supplied part.
Can you elaborate on the symptoms?

Jesse.15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
I had no warnings or pulsing with the break pedal
It seems to have sorted it's self out now

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Agree solenoid pack could be culprit. I too had the same issue on my VYII Berlina. It was a hard (solid) failure which caused various other issues. A cross appeared in the climate control LCD, the climate control also ceased operating, usual warnings and chimes went off as well. Dealer price for part was outrageous, got a reworked pack from an eBay repairer for $120 and fixed problem.

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Series II Berlina
I just replaced the ABS module on my VY II Berlina.
I had the ABS and Engine warning on the dash display. At first it wasn't frequent at all, then it just got worse. Ended up getting the "Service Error", "Contact Retailer" on the dash display. It turned off A/C, ABS, TRAC, basically anything electronic. So it was kind of like my 79 commodore.:)
I bought the diagnostic software from Envyous Customs. But it wouldn't talk to the car.
Apparently, thanks to Jason at Envyous customs, the ABS module can stuff the communications up if it is faulty.
So went to the wreckers bought the ABS module for $60 - Fixed! Connected the computer back on the car, no faults.

Hope this helps.

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
I just replaced the ABS module on my VY II Berlina.
I had the ABS and Engine warning on the dash display. At first it wasn't frequent at all, then it just got worse. Ended up getting the "Service Error", "Contact Retailer" on the dash display. It turned off A/C, ABS, TRAC, basically anything electronic. So it was kind of like my 79 commodore.:)
I bought the diagnostic software from Envyous Customs. But it wouldn't talk to the car.
Apparently, thanks to Jason at Envyous customs, the ABS module can stuff the communications up if it is faulty.
So went to the wreckers bought the ABS module for $60 - Fixed! Connected the computer back on the car, no faults.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like the symptoms that I'm getting. Another member suggested the abs module too. Are they easy to change over? I know how to unplug the wiring because I did that yesterday. Thanks

leigh123

Reaction score
After some advice please -
I had all the usual symptoms of ABS Module failure on VY11 SS.
Removed the module and eventually found a replacement.

The replacement module came with the whole assembly attached. The bit on the back that the 6 pipes connect to.

Without thinking about it I replaced the whole lot. Removed and reconnected the 6 pipes that go onto the back of the module.

After doing this it has fixed the problems with the random lights coming on etc.

Only thing is now the brakes don't feel so good. Pedal seems to go down further and maybe a bit spongy.

I really know very little about brakes.... should I have just disconnected those 6 pipes or should I have left it alone ?

Do I need to get the brakes bled now ?

How much would I expect to pay for that ?

The car has been sitting for last 6 months or so and I am going to sell it soon so don't want to have to spend too much more money on it.

Any advise appreciated..

Thanks

Last edited:

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
leigh123, Just so you know I am just a back yard hack. NOT by any stretch of the imagination a mechanic.
I had to bleed the brakes. I don't know anything about SS commodores, for example if the brakes are special in some way.
There are heaps of video's on how to bleed brakes. Not really hard just more of a PITA job.
I seem to remember that to get a better brake bleed done it requires a TechTool / scan tool??? that ?shudders? the brakes to get all the air out. Sorry, I don't know how much that costs.
Mine are pretty good, a little bit of travel.
Have a look at this: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/sequence-for-bleeding-brakes-to-ensure-no-air-trapped-in-brake-lines.166887/

Hope this helps.

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
fixitphil,
I just changed over the whole assembly. To be honest, I never tried just changing the module by itself. I suppose you could try? Might save you having to bleed the brakes.