Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Air Con Smells

arty

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I have noticed that after using my air con, the next day when I turn on the fan it smells.... It is some sort of bad odor.

Has anyone else copped this? If so how did you rectify it?

Regards,

Arty

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Yes, that is a bad odor.....
Maybe buy some strong air freshener!

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Nope, you're not imagining it. It's due to build up of moisture/bacteria in the vents. When it gets fully cold or hot the smell goes away, but will continue to build up when there is condensation and no air moving through. Have heard it referred to as "bum smell" but that's a bit harsh, lol.

If you can find an easy way to get rid of it, good luck. There are some commercial products available that squirt down the vents to kill the stuff that causes it, but not readily available from searches I have found.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
With the aircon off and the thermo turned to the full hot setting, run the vehicle for a while on medium to high fan with exterior air flowing through the heating and vent system(ie. not in recirculating mode). Have a window part open at the same time.

This helps to dry out moisture build up in the ventilation system.

BTW, if you run the aircon with recirculating air too often (ie., in the recirc mode air setting) rather than mostly allowing an exterior air flow through the system you will usually get a larger odour problem in the car.