Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Calais LSD?

02nelsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
Hey, my first post here, i was wondering if the vy/vz calais V8 has an LSD in it?,, and if it does not, how hard would it be to put one in it, with the trac control and all the electronic gadgets?

Thanks for all your help, i did do a search as to if this thread existed already, but it come up with nothing....

02nelsc.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I think LSD was only standard on the SS models, & V8 Monaros. Its a straight swap to put a LSD in. Well worth the bucks , try & buy a complete unit with low klms off Ebay , around $350 , $400 odd. 3.07 ratio most popular, change the oil every 12 months . :idea:

02nelsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
Thanks, I was tossing up between the ss and the Calais, this will
make the decision a little more easier.

On the vy is there a tag or a plate that tells me the ratio, on the outside of the diff housing?

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Thanks, I was tossing up between the ss and the Calais, this will
make the decision a little more easier.

On the vy is there a tag or a plate that tells me the ratio, on the outside of the diff housing?

1. I would have to differ with others here and say that the LSD was standard on all VYs fitted with V8. I just looked up the VY sales glossy (brochure) and it has the LSD listed as standard on the Sv8 which was essentially an "up-speced" executive with a V8. The sales glossy for the VZ also has the LSD listed as standard for the VZ Sv8. I am 99% sure that the LSD was fitted as a mandatory option to the Calais if you ordered the V8 on the VY. Unfortunately I don't have the Calais brochures but I don't believe GM produced any V8 VY or VZs without the LSD going into the car. They were also standard on the SS of course but the VY and VZ SS models were only V8s (as was the VX SS).
(Driving a Commodore V8 in the wet without an LSD would be interesting).

2. I ordered my current VY with an LSD and there is a metal tag on the diff and a white sticker on the side of the diff centre housing. As I recall it when I last looked the sticker had the diff ratio printed on it and is on the drivers side of the diff centre. The metal tag on the rear of the diff identifies the diff as being LSD.

If you are tossing up between the V8 Calais and SS get a few insurance quotes on each car and I think you might find the Calais will be cheaper if the insured value of each is close.

02nelsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
no worries, thanks for your help, if i end up getting the calais i will let you know what it has in it, when i started looking for an upgrade for the old car i have now, the VY SS seemed like a good deal, but the calais, that has sunroof climate control full leather and electronics is the same price, i didn't know they were that price, they are a really nice looking car. If it does have an LSD in it, it should be quite spirited car too ;)

Once again, thanks for your help.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The VY and VZ Calais are both nice looking cars.

Whilst I prefer the SS, if you are getting a used V8 Calais you are much less likely to get a vehicle that has been pre-thrashed than if you go for a used SS.
So I would tend to go for the V8 Calais unless I knew the full background on the SS and it was one owner.

Don't buy a car that has been in a company fleet (whether via full ownership or lease) at any time of its life because I can tell you from first hand experience that most (not all) of these types are cars are neglected in one way or another - especially on the mechanical side (like drivers that don't ever bother to check the oil and coolant levels between scheduled services).

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Thanks for update , you could be correct. You are correct about the LSD data plate being on drivers side of diff housing but it may be covered in road grime & hard to read. It has the ratio,part number , & whether its a LSD written on it with a large Barcode as well. , the tag is correct but there are 2 types of tag . One says "High Performance Diff" which means nothing much , the other says "Limited Slip Diff" , so make sure you get right under the car & read the tag.
I have a 2003 VY Calais with Supercharged V6, a GREAT car. I have it chipped, 10psi pulley, extractors & R8 Clubsport exhaust My Sunroof was a Holden by Design option , they are not standard on Calais. My Calais did NOT have LSD in it , so was one of my first swaps. I agree ditch the SS , go for a Calais V8 preferably a series 2, around 2005 year. Or a VZ Calais V8 would be the ultimate but would be around the $18k to $20k mark I think. Good Hunting....:smoking:

WestieZBRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 AWD RS-V Commodore
im pretty sure my V8 Calais has an LSD in it (not sure if it was standard or optional).
But I do have to say.....it is a really sweet ride - you get all the creature comforts with the grunt of an LS1.....I love it

02nelsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
^^ My thoughts exactly, thanks for all your help, i will see if i can find the tag when i go shopping.

vx mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
my vy v8 series 2 Calais has a factory lsd in it