Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY - Check Engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Last night I was driving my VY S Supercharged. I threw it into 2nd and put my foot into it. At around 120km the Check engine warning came up. I slowed down, put it back into drive and the warning went away. When I start the car I get System OK. I have searched forums and can not find anything on this. I'm just wondering if this was just the engine rev limiter kicking in or maybe the knock sensor? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the check engine light came on, then there is a problem somewhere being detected by the engine management system, probably an intermittent problem with a sensor, or its wiring, or wiring connector etc if the check engine light comes on and then goes off again... I think that with the VY models, you need a scantool to check the codes to see what error codes have been logged in the ECU. These codes will help point you in the general area that the problem has occured.
Someone else here should be able to definitely say whether the error codes can be checked with or without a scantool on VY, as theres a very simple way to check error codes without using a scantool on the earlier model commodores

Last edited:

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
Lesson learnt dont do 120kph in secound gear, if warning lights are still appearing I would have it checked out.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Another stupid post on JC from the brainless lot.

Don't worry about the check engine light. If you are running at 120 kph in second gear you will ruin your car anyway. In any event, you won't have your licence for much longer either and we won't have to worry about another mentally defective driver on the road.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Another stupid post on JC from the brainless lot.

Don't worry about the check engine light. If you are running at 120 kph in second gear you will ruin your car anyway. In any event, you won't have your licence for much longer either and we won't have to worry about another mentally defective driver on the road.

I wouldn't say my post was brainless. I did it in a 110k area with no other cars present. If I did get booked for that it would be 1 point off my full compliment of points - if they even bothered to book me for less than 10% over - trucks go faster at that time of night as well. Technically, someone like you coasting down a hill at 70 in a 60 zone would get fined more so don't pass judgement without the knowing facts. I was just simply seeing what the car has got as safely as I could. Nothing wrong with that so no need to be dropping insults. As for ruining the car - the engine management system is meant to stop the engine going above redline. I know if I take off in first gear that the car will change automatically into 2nd when it hits the redline (of course watching the speed limit). So I was wondering if this doesn't happen in 2nd and hence the check engine warning. If you have an informed technical comment on this I'd be glad to hear it.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
We have 130km/h zones here :p

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Last night I was driving my VY S Supercharged. I threw it into 2nd and put my foot into it. At around 120km the Check engine warning came up. I slowed down, put it back into drive and the warning went away. When I start the car I get System OK. I have searched forums and can not find anything on this. I'm just wondering if this was just the engine rev limiter kicking in or maybe the knock sensor? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance

As always, wanting to be helpful here, I contacted my engineer friend at GMH concerning the check engine warning when thrashing the vehicle in 2nd gear at 120 kph.

He was very helpful and I am pleased to pass on his comments.

He advised:

1. Yes you will get the Check Engine warning display when thrashing your vehicle as described.

2. However after that warning flashes you will always get a further warning:

“Caution - Defective Operator Detected”

3. A few seconds later you should get an additional warning displayed:

“Danger – Extremely Low Brain Power “

Anyhow he said you may have missed these additional flashes because whilst driving at 120 kph in 2nd gear you were probably distracted adjusting your hoodie or throwing the beer can out the window or the like.

4. In any case he mentioned that within about 48 hours the on board computer will adjust itself and, whilst driving, the vehicle will drop into LIMP MODE. (In case you were wondering, no - this is not a reference to your penile health).

At that stage please watch for an additional warning display which he said would be:

“Computer adjusted for Severely Handicapped Operator.
Contact Retailer”

For further information please refer to GMH Technical Bulletin 2734785/03-04, pages 25 and 26.

Cheers

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
As always, wanting to be helpful here, I contacted my engineer friend at GMH concerning the check engine warning when thrashing the vehicle in 2nd gear at 120 kph.

He was very helpful and I am pleased to pass on his comments.

He advised:

1. Yes you will get the Check Engine warning display when thrashing your vehicle as described.

blah blah blah

Cheers

Thanks. It's always nice to know there will be idiots around like you to act like a clown. -The joker who is always craving attention. However, I do appreciate the humour in your comments :) Luckily for me I'm past the age where I need to worry about wearing a hoodie or to be upset by any penile reference. If I wreck the car I'll simply buy another :)

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Incase anyone is interested, I had someone put the diag tool on and tell me what the error code was. It was Lean Condition under load - from what I can read this only applies to the Supercharged Engine. It could be a sign that the filter needs changing or the fuel pump is not providing enough pressure. I'll try the fuel pump first.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Driving the car to 120 in second gear is hardly thrashing it. If the car was not capable of doing it, it wouldn't do it. There are enough management systems on modern cars to pretty much make them idiot proof. (I'm not calling you an idiot by the way mongoose). If on the other hand you said you put your boot into it to see what it could do and you hit 175 in a school zone, that would be a totally different story.

It's responses like those of Sean880 that make this forum seem more nanny like than it really is.

A car is meant to be driven, an engine is designed to to take loads. An engine actually performs better and lasts longer when put under load. (I'm not talking about bouncing off the limiter at every opportunity either) The majority of the time, a component fails only due to lack of maintenance, not driving the car hard. Sure, things wear out, they are not designed to last forever, driving the car hard may make things wear out a bit quicker, but that's where maintenance comes in.

Anyway, glad you had it sorted. I would have said what Brett said, get it checked and the codses read and see what the problem actually was.

Status
Not open for further replies.