Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY commodore info wanted

B

blackwrx

Hi
this is my first post here, I currently drive a wrx but I am looking into buying an 03/ 04 commodore.

I have owned before a 98 VT V6 which was a very nice car, 2000 model VT Gen111 V8 and now I currently own a black wrx limited edition which I hardly drive as it just does not really suit my purposes.

I am looking for a VY commodore for around $25000
Modifications I would like to keep simple I think something like a 2.5 inch exhaust, extractors, CAI and an after market engine management system.

I like the V6 for travelling long distances which I will be doing shortly so I would like to know what effect do these modifications have on fuel economy?

Also has anyone performed these modifications and put there car on the dyno? What power were they putting out?

Thanks

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Depends how much you want to spend on mods

The stock V6 exhaust system on the VY's are not good at all and getting a decent cat back system together with extractors will improve fuel ecomony and sound alot better :yeah:

I've got a 2003 VY acclaim V6 which has all the safety features and looks nicer than the executive

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Still a few new ones around.

Hi,

You don't say whether you want an auto or a manual, but a week ago there was still a new VY S2 auto for sale in the Sydney area. It was at Hunter Holden at $26,159 plus on-road costs.

Now if you had been using a GM card for a while and had got to a $3K discount, that would be less than $27K drive away.

Just a thought.

S

sickvy

I've been told by several muffler places that putting a 2.5" system through will wreck your fuel econnomy and that you should only do it if you wish to get a note out of it (v6). 10 - 15yrs ago this would have been a good idea, but apparently the car manufactures these days have stock systems pretty well tuned for ecconnomy. ??? anyone else heard similar stories???

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Thats not true at all who ever told you as fuel economy improves alot with a decent exhaust system

RichardW

Reaction score
I agree too. Since putting my system on it sounds a 1000% better and fuel econ is around 12.50 - 13.50L/100km

R

r00ns

If your wrx is standard and you want a car that has more power id buy an SV8 manual.They beat standard wrx's.Even when the SV8 isnt modded