Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Conversion to Track Car

Kymbo7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I picked up a cheap VY and want to strip it, stick a roll cage in it and convert to a track car.
I have done this before with a VN and was electrically pretty easy, however I am assuming that with all of the extra safety goodies in the later model this could become a headache.
A few questions to those who may know.
1. I understand security removal is a touchy subject on forums and I will leave this well alone
2. How do I go about removal of srs circuit, so when I remove seats and add a race seat and remove airbags I dont get a fault?
3. Can I remove traction control permanently and how to do this?
4. If I replace standard air box with pod, what sensors etc can I leave off if any and how to add them to pod set up?
5. Any advice on electrical set up would be greatly appreciated

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Security removal was easy on pre-VY, you just got a memcal without VATS usually by mail order. Unfortunately (AFAIK) VY doesn't have a memcal you can remove. You could possibly go to a VX ECU.

I thought VY had a traction control switch, but I did find this thread - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-how-to-disable-traction-control-etc.122209/

Pod being better than a panel is debatable. Do it if you want but the gain will be marginal. I have had the national motorkhana champion tell me he always found the air box better. You won't really be able to get rid of sensors without updating the tune anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You maybe able to find out from Ultra Tune, Prospect....They have a VY speedway car

Or another one with a VY speedway car is, Darren Flatman mechanical...Peachey Road Edinburough

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You can remove the security yourself if you buy a decent aldl cable you can read your old tune out turn vats off and flash it back in directly no need for a chip programmer on the later stuff.traction control is just 1 wire to remove out of the abs module plug or snip the wire there's a how too on here to permenantly disable traction control that will show you what wire.abs just pull the fuse and remove the bags it might beep on startup and the light will come on just pull the bulb out the cluster if its distracting

Kymbo7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
Thanks for the info. It has certainly enlightened me a bit. It may not seem as difficult as I thought. I will pop into Darren Flatman Mechanical for a chat with him. I might keep the airbox, might be easier.
It does have a traction control button, so maybe keep the switch and try and remember to turn off, but I did see something on cutting a wire on the abs module to turn off permanently..does this work?
Where do you get the all cable and necessary software to play around security?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616 the software is on there to read and write to the ecu for free its called oseflashtool to tune it you need tunerpro available online for free its not limited at all but if you donate it gets rid of the 10 second nag screen at startup

Kymbo7

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
Is the 69mm TB a worthwhile option for some extra pick up? Or are they a waste of money? I have seen Mace sells them.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is the 69mm TB a worthwhile option for some extra pick up? Or are they a waste of money? I have seen Mace sells them.

T/B isn't supposed to be a restriction. The real problem with a T/B upgrade is that you'll need some kind of tune to suit. Main problem is the idle so I'm not sure if you could just change the idle rate and the rest would be fine. Not really worth the hassle IMHO.