Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Ecotec Crewman Fuel low fuel warning with a 3/4 of a tank of fuel & New sender

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Hi I can't find any threads on the exact problem or solutions we just bought a VY Ecotec Crewman When we got it the fuel gauge read half of a tank and one day it suddenly dropped to Empty overnight, We filled the tank and it kept clicking (and spitting out of the filler neck Full tank ) So we replaced the sender unit, and it is still doing it with about 3/4 of tank we lost some while changing the sender
The Build date is Feb 04 and I have checked that the dash is a Series 2 ( JD 92160983)
The only thing we did to the crewman was swap out the interior, water blast it as it was covered in red dirt, and change the engine sensors
I am at a loss as to where to look next

Attachments

• 385526238_7353010601395476_4628722099421482198_n (1).jpg
    385526238_7353010601395476_4628722099421482198_n (1).jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 70

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Has it got the right fuel sender/pick up in it they are different to a ute, if it has the gauge wont read below 3/4 of a tank and you wont be able to get fuel below approx 1/2 a tank. My friend put a ute sender in a tonner the other day and created that problem for himself.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
crewman has its own module different to all others must use the correct one, has a hump in the tank so uses a hose to pickup from other side im pretty sure

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
crewman has its own module different to all others must use the correct one, has a hump in the tank so uses a hose to pickup from other side im pretty sure
The sender seems to be the right one The hose that goes to the other side of the tank was snapped so we replaced it with the proper plastic submersible fuel hose but it made no difference the gauge

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Has it got the right fuel sender/pick up in it they are different to a ute, if it has the gauge wont read below 3/4 of a tank and you wont be able to get fuel below approx 1/2 a tank. My friend put a ute sender in a tonner the other day and created that problem for himself.
Yes seems to be the one checked with the build date and VIn The dash cluster I am not 100% sure if it's the right one for a series 2 vy crewman

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
did u plug the sender in (before fitting to tank) and remove fuse so pump dosnt work and move the float by hand to full and empty and see if the gauge does the same ? they are dampened also so can take a bit for it to move sometimes

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
did u plug the sender in (before fitting to tank) and remove fuse so pump dosnt work and move the float by hand to full and empty and see if the gauge does the same ? they are dampened also so can take a bit for it to move sometimes
I disconnected the battery while swapping removing the fuel pump assembly and then removed the pump to test the sender by hand once it was plugged the gauge did move all the to full mark when I dropped the sender to empty but after it wouldn't respond at all
Is there a fuse I should be checking that does the sender alone not the pump? the pump itself is working fine

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
no fuse for sender its just resistance, the gauge wont move instantly as its dampened if u go one big move to full then straight to empty it may stay on full for 10 or so mins until it then goes down to empty, just testing it that way first lets u know if its good or not and then if u have issues once its in the tank u know its some kind of fitment/tank issue, also make sure the sender is facing the right way sometimes the float can contact the side of the tank and get stuck or if the hose binds up and the float arm can get stuck on that also

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Signal is inverted between vy1 and vy2. Body diagnostics can be used to reprogram instead of replacing the sender.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Judt had a look at the Fuel sender Ohms in Diagnostic mode on the dash it was reading 64 ohms which should be nearly spot on for around3/4 of a tank going by the testing the old sender and the data that was given to me by the supplier it seems to be the analog gauge playing up or fault in the cluster possibly or maybe a BCM problem also, I can command the gage to work with a scan tool