Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Ecotec Engine in VT body with VT computer

captain slow

Reaction score
Members Ride
19999 VT 3.8ltr
Hi All,

I have a VT with Mace Performance chip with stock engine but couple weeks ago the engine died.

So, I have put in VY engine which only done 126K and put in 10W 60 Penrite Racing oil with Ryco filter and also added ceratec from Liquoy Moly, but I can hear timing chain rattle. So I have asked few Mechanic they said 10W 60 is too thick. Yesterday put in HPR5 5W-40 now rattle dropped 50%. But noise is still there.

Now I am thinking do I need to replace VT performance chip with a VY performance chip or need to replace the computer with VY computer ? OR should I send the Performance chip to Mace Engineering to Re-Program the chip. Please help.

**posted in Mace Engineering too, couldn't delete the post**

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What makes you think it's something wrong with the timing chain? If it is indeed something like a timing chain, a tune will do squat to fix it. It would be the same as trying to fix a blown tyre by tuning it.

The Ecotecs are essentially identical (save for some EGR and sensor differences between the VS ones), so realistically they should all run fine on any Ecotec tune.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I wouldn't think penrite hpr 10 (I assume that's the oil your referring to) would be too thick for an ecotec especially one with a few k's on it, as above your mace chip won't make one iota of difference to mechanical noises

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
"put in 10W 60 Penrite Racing oil with Ryco filter and also added ceratec from Liquoy Moly"
Uh, what the #### are you doing.... its an ecotec not a race engine; put some 10w-40 and she'll be right.

captain slow

Reaction score
Members Ride
19999 VT 3.8ltr
Thanks R_J_K for your input.

Car starts ok and no noise then after a short drive turn the car off as I am going to get groceries then when I start her up after finishing the groceries she rattles for about 5 seconds then sounds ok! So i presumed its something to do with timing chain. now got HPR5 oil but still rattles but performance wise, more power than last engine.

Don't know what to do??? thinking of selling the damn thing :bang::bang:

captain slow

Reaction score
Members Ride
19999 VT 3.8ltr
Thanks vr304 for your reply.

I wouldn't thought HPR10 would be thicker for it as well but now temperature around here in the morning is around 4 deg.
thats why i thought lets put HPR5 see if it makes any better?

Now she got HPR5 but very little difference. One mechanic said, noisy lifter thinking of putting Liqui-Moly Tappet quieter additive.
Also thinking I should check those spark plug leads, only plugs are new not the leads. Any suggestion which one to get, BOSCH or EAGLE LPG.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If it only rattles for 5 seconds then drives fine and noise disappears id just ignore it. Its just waiting for the oil pressure to build up.
See how it goes in the next few months. That HPR5 might clean it up a bit. Leads wont make it rattle on start up.

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Sounds like you have lifter rattle, I used to have same problem I switched my oil to magnatec 10 40 now as quite as a church mouse.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The Penrite full syn 10w-60 is fine. It will find the required weight so that's not the issue.

You need to present the car to someone that can diagnose. From what's written here the interwebs will not help at all.

Leave the current tune as the ecu doesn't recognise if the engine is from a VS-VY. It just performs a task and that's it