Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Fog lights!

J

Johnny9

Hey guys, This is my first post here so let me say hello to all of you!

I'm 17, Nearly 18. I recently bought a 2002 VY S pack Supercharged. I picked up a set of fog lights for it off ebay. The guy told me that they are genuine VZ SS lights. But after trying to install them tonight I found out that the holes on the bracket don't line up with my holes in the bumper and the plug doesn't even fit into the plug on my car. I think I got sucked in, but I've e-mailed the guy and I'm just waiting for a reply. What I'd like to know is could someone please post me a pic of there SS fog lights? I'd just like to know if the VY/VZ SS fog lights have the SS logo on them. Mine are ment to be genuine but they don't have any SS logos on them.

Any help would be much appericated.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Why did you buy VZ parts for a VY??

Despite looking almost identical, there are not many common parts shared between VY & VZ. These days Holden seem to be doing more than ever to prevent retro-fitment of "cool" parts.

Basically, it does not surprise me that the VZ lights don't fit the VY. That said, it wouldn't be hard to make them work. If unsure, take the car to an auto-sparky and get them to do it.

SS parts generally don't carry logos. Some HSV parts do.

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
I have a VY SS 2 and it has SS on the glass

Scotty

J

Johnny9

clixanup said:
Why did you buy VZ parts for a VY??

Despite looking almost identical, there are not many common parts shared between VY & VZ. These days Holden seem to be doing more than ever to prevent retro-fitment of "cool" parts.

Basically, it does not surprise me that the VZ lights don't fit the VY. That said, it wouldn't be hard to make them work. If unsure, take the car to an auto-sparky and get them to do it.

SS parts generally don't carry logos. Some HSV parts do.

I bought these because the item description said that they were genuine Holden VZ SS fog lights, and that they would fit into either a VY or VX. Alot of the later model cars carry SS logos on the fog lights. I'm an Auto Electrian myself (Apprentice) and could wire these fog lights up without using the plug but I'd rather leave the plug on. Incase I want to remove them for next time.It's just alot easier. Anyways...Seems like this guy sold me some aftermarket **** so if he doesn't refund my money I'll speak to Ebay about this.

Thanks for your help Scotty!

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
If all else fails let us know who he is and his details and we will annoy the **** out of him as well.

Scotty

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi guys,
I just did a comparison of the VZ and VY driving lights on the front cover of the sales brochures and they are a different design. VY have a vertical ripple in the glass and "SS" embossed in the centre of the glass. These were a carry over from the VX from what I have been told. The VZ is a smooth finish and I do not think there is any "SS" embossed.
Regards,
Mark.

J

Johnny9

Marks-VY said:
Hi guys,
I just did a comparison of the VZ and VY driving lights on the front cover of the sales brochures and they are a different design. VY have a vertical ripple in the glass and "SS" embossed in the centre of the glass. These were a carry over from the VX from what I have been told. The VZ is a smooth finish and I do not think there is any "SS" embossed.
Regards,
Mark.

Thanks for that Mark!

The guy has said that he will refund my money so I'm sending them back tomorrow arvo. I'm just pissed off that I had my time wasted because he told me that they would fit into a VY. Never mind though, I'll get some VY ones this week.

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Hate to tell you this but the VZ lights you were refering to would have fit into your VY. The globe housing is pretty much exactly the same as the VY fogs, the only major difference is the globe itself which angles in.

The plug is located behind your front bar and is tricky to locate at first, but once you know where it is the lights just plug straight in. The plugs on the VZ lights are the same as the VY......Please dont tell me you left the green rubber spacer on the plugs!!...Mate they are supposed to come off! If you didnt take these off then no wonder you had trouble plugging them in!

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
Hi guys,i just fitted vz foglights to my vy,you just need to make 1 extra whole you cant see it when the light is in so they do fit and look better than the vy ss ones.
As for the wireing the early standard vy's do not have the plug for the ss lights there only the later model ones do.

Does anyone know if you can wire into the loom and use the genuine wireing for the lights?