Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY front seats

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Does anybody find VY seats uncomfortable? I have a VY Adventra CX8 and find after 20 minutes they get very uncomfortable. The seats were worn so I got the fabric redone and the foam repaired/replaced but it didn't make any difference to the comfort. I don't know what sort of foam was used, could have been cheap rubbish stuff. It cost $350 a seat to get done so it should have been resonable quaility. Is there anything I can do to the standard seats to make them more comfortable?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think the VT-VZ seats were the most comfortable since the VH and VK Calais

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Does anybody find VY seats uncomfortable?
No. I have done long drives in my Cross6 and can still walk OK getting out, also presuming they are the same as VZ seats, but not the SS style.
But if you have the lumbar adjustment loose, it is easy to sag / lounge into them...... ie bad posture.

I don't know what sort of foam was used,
Did he rebuild them or was the foam pad new ?
If rebuilt, there is quite a bit of labour in glueing / shaping, and got to be careful with foam density. There are so many types, so it could have been cheap stuff.
I got a new foam seat pad part # GM92147381 = $138 in 2016, and put a piece of 'unobtanium' carpet between the pad and seat base for a bit of extra support.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
as in sore back or sore arse
with out being rude, is your weight average, do you have a boney arse

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
as in sore back or sore arse
with out being rude, is your weight average, do you have a boney arse
:D Bony arse :D I am 189cm and 96 kg, I do have a bit of padding. I get seizing and pain in the back and legs when I straighten up after driving. I do sit all day when I work so I'm used to the low activity. I used to have a Fairlane, I could sit in that for days on end no problem. Wife has a VZ wagon, don't have the same problem with it, seats look the same.

Mebe I have to change my driving position.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I find my VY Executive seats rather uncomfortable on a long drive.....So will be interested to hear the outcome...

My VC has VS seats in it and I find them more comfortable on a long drive....Unfortunately I don't remember what trim level VS the seats came from...

The VY is standard height, whilst the VC is 2" lower than standard...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I get seizing and pain in the back and legs when I straighten up after driving.
At 122 years old, that is normal. Ask @Skylarking if he has the same problem at that age. ;)

But, seriously, I think you should consider your posture and position behind the wheel. How are you after driving a different car ?.
I have no problems with my CV8 and Cross6 after a long drive, but the Territory is a different story.
The seat foams are almost identical, (velcro strips)) and the higher driving position is comfortable for long periods, but the getting out can be 5 minutes of feeling really old. Just slightly different orientation of your lower body between the styles of the interiors..

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
At 122 years old, that is normal. Ask @Skylarking if he has the same problem at that age. ;)

But, seriously, I think you should consider your posture and position behind the wheel. How are you after driving a different car ?.
I have no problems with my CV8 and Cross6 after a long drive, but the Territory is a different story.
The seat foams are almost identical, (velcro strips)) and the higher driving position is comfortable for long periods, but the getting out can be 5 minutes of feeling really old. Just slightly different orientation of your lower body between the styles of the interiors..
Good advice I think. I do drive other vehicles and I don't get sore on long distances in the old Discovery.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ask @Skylarking if he has the same problem at that age. ;)
Seat position and long drives haven’t been a problem but with one of my old cars that had rather stiff damping it would make my teeth hurt after some hours :p:p:p

Last edited: