Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Headlight Swap

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac Series II Supercharged L67
I was thinking of changing the current headlights to the VY SS style, the ones with darker shades instead of the chrome.
Would a straight swap work or would a mod be necessary?

I found these on ebay, look pretty sweet.

LINK 1
Holden VY Commodore SS SV8 Headlights Head Lights NEW - eBay Headlights, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Jul-10 21:54:58 AEST)

LINK 2
VY SS HSV SV6 SV8 HEAD LIGHTS - LEFT & RIGHT - PAIR - eBay Headlights, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Jul-10 11:21:23 AEST)

says no modding but I wanted to make sure with you guys.. link 1 or 2 look better??

I also have a cracked foggy, would something like this be fine to purchase =
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX-VY FOG LIGHT SS - eBay Other, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 02-Jul-10 08:22:01 AEST)

How long would these headlights and fog light take to install?
I was thinking of taking it to a local auto-electrician.

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
In regards to the headlights i got mine changed to the ss style ones, it is straight swap however im pretty sure you need to remove your front bar to get the lights in, i took mine to the local panel beater, did it for $50 in about an hour. With the foglights they look fine the only thing would be that it may not match your other one, i know that both my foglights have "ss" on the front. Not to sure how to remove/replace it though an auto elec or panel beater would def be able to help.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
VY 'S' and VY 'SS' are straight swap as they are essentially the same light. Both headlight links you have are the same type so it doesn't matter what type you end up with. Front bumper removal is almost a guarantee as guyman mentioned.
If you're a bit more adventurous, try the DIY SS headlights that a few members have pulled off successfully.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-spray-your-headlights-black.108535

Also found this whilst looking for the thread above. DIY foggie install
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-lights-vx-vy-vz-possibly-other-models.134483

Cheers
GAMBLR

danieLOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
i bought them about a week ago, its very simple to do the change over mate, do it yourself if you know how to take your bumper off, dont waste your money on an auto elec. it'll take you between half an hour to an hour to install them

theres 3 bolts on each light to come out, 1 on top, 1 behind near the battery and one behind the bar closest to the grill (which is why u need to take ur bumper off)

make sure you have orange bulbs as well for the indicators and take note how the lights are secured with the little metal wire so you can do the same on the new ones cause u have to swap the bulbs (you'll know what im talking about when you do it)

the only thing i had a problem with was the loom was a pain in the ass to come off, use a flat head to help pry it off and you should be fine