Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II Calais AC blend door issues (possibly)

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Hey guys, loving my Calais, but there are a few things that are concerning me that may be totally normal, but want to run past peeps in case something is up. All relate to the aircon.

1. Occasionally when more engine power is needed, it will click the compressor off for a few seconds. The owners manual says this is normal, but it can be somewhat annoying on a hot day, am wondering if there are any workarounds or tips while driving to avoid this from happening. Will also happen on cruise.

2. When I have the aircon set to foot and face, the blend doors will switch between the two positions every few minutes for about 30 seconds to a minute on feet. The manual says this is normal, but I find it strange that the aircon will direct all airflow one way or the other, when pretty much every other car I've ever been in will do both at the same time. Is this normal?

3. I've only noticed this the other day, but that's probably because I've only had the fan up past 1 on that one occasion. Periodically, maybe every 5 minutes or so, the blend doors will go to demist for a few seconds, turn the fans up, and go back to normal after a few seconds. Am wondering if this is normal. The service manual says that occasionally it will go to demist automatically when it needs to based on temperature and humidity inside and outside the car and also based on daylight, but it seems to be random. The climate has never been set to auto when this has happened, from what I remember.

4. Occasionally, and a friend and I think this is something to do with issue #3, there will be a rather worrying and somewhat noticeable ticking noise, like something has been caught in a blower motor and is enough to stop it, but the air comes out fine. I seem to remember it happening at least once at the same time the demist thing happened. What we think the noise is, is air blowing past a blend door that is closing or opening (possibly when it shouldn't) and causing it to flap around until it opens/closes fully. I will have to get a video of it to explain it better.

Am I being too paranoid and the aircon is working fine, or are these all things that should be looked at? The aircon blows stone cold every time when you want it to, save for these issues, which last no longer than a few seconds at a time.

Cheers