Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy immobiliser problem

SkoobaSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BT1 5L
So Friday arvo the mrs goes to the car and it won't unlock, she opens the door with the key , tries to start it and it cranks then stalls , same happens with the spare key , buttons won't work , cranks then stalls. The security light in the dash displays remains on solid. My brother in law is a mechanic , but also a arrogant dick. He asks us to drop the keys to him and he will have a look. He has a "look" and tells us it's rooted , needs new module control , new keys etc , we won't get it started and need to tow it , get an auto electrician and locksmith out to fix it. I go back to car , disconnect battery check all ignition fuses , reconnect battery and it starts , key works fine , locks and unlocks fine with remote . Told brother in law , he says its not fixed need to do what he says and shouldn't be driving it at all. Has anyone had this problem or can share some light or info on it ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I know that with VS, VT and VX models, you can leave the ignition key in the ON position for 2 hours and this will bypass the immobiliser and allow the car to start if theres ever a problem with the key or key reader etc, this is for emergencies so the vehicle can be started and driven to a repair place for repairs if the security system ever stuffs up.. The VY models should have a similar emergency bypass so the security system can be bypassed and the vehicle started in an emergency.. The security light on the dash will stop flashing after the bypass wait time has elapsed.

SkoobaSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BT1 5L
The car starts no problem now , everything works how it should , more after info if anyone knows if this will be an ongoing problem , if I should take it to holden or if the problem has fixed itself.

Loki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VY
bugger taking it to holden they will charge and arm and a leg just to look

jewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore executive s1
i had RAA out for the same problem and he pressed the unlock button twice and it cleared the problem. i still get it happen every now and then but do what the guy showed me and it works.

dopey666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss
ive had the same happen to me.. i just keep pressing it and eventually it works.. doesnt happen often but i had it happen wile the car was at a mechanic and they just kept turning it over till it drained the battery and then told me i had to get it towed when i came to pick it up.. pissed me off.. but since putting a new battrey in the car hasnt happened.. ive also replaced the buttons on my key but somtimes its hard to press as the contact pad under the rubber is bent..

jewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore executive s1
I replaced my key buttons with blue ones from ebay