Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67 overheating problems

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
On my way to work this morning car overheated, when I pulled over popped the hood no visible leaks, hoses didnt feel hot or anything

Same thing happened in the morning a month ago.

I just let it cool off back down to normal operating temp then drove off and it didnt overheat again, anyone know what could cause this?

I've had a new radiator put in last service, was thinking maybe there is a pocket of air or bubble in there?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
is top and bottom hoses different? one hot one cold, if so replace the thermostat.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Thermostat for sure if it's only once just after a cold start

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Can also be the temp sender unit they tend to tell lies I thought I was having major overheating issues at one stage turns out the sender was telling porkies ..... Wish I knew before I did new radiator, hoses, and thermo hahaha

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Yeah the top one was cold, the bottom one was kind of warm, I kept my hand on it and it didnt burn or anything. Thermostat a prick of a job on a L67?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Throttle body off and a bit of patience

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
Just had the same problem, it's been sitting for a while and it didn't over heat but earlier today it came up with engine temperature hot and than on the way home temperature was fluctuated, I haven't checked coolant level yet as its hot, both hoses are also hot not just one so not sure what it is, how much am I looking at for a thermostat getting replaced ? I thought it was a charger off job

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
No, the charger can stay. T/B, needs to come off to access thermostat housing. Replace that small "U" hose there as well because it will go eventually. Don't forget the 3 bleeding screws to purge air out of the system when you're done. One on thermostat housing, one on the LIM and one at the front.

Also check your radiator and overflow bottle for goo in case there is oil in your coolant. If so, its more than likely your LIM gasket and that is a charger off job but not too bad.

Sadly, I think they are plumbed the way they are because in the US they are east/west mounted for FWD. Means we have to put up with the drawbacks of having the motor turned 90 degrees for normal RWD cars...

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
It ended up being the LIM gasket, so had them replaced with metal ones as well as a 82 degree thermostat, no more over heating problems now

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It does say a lot about the extra heat you guys see in summer. I need to do the LIM gaskets on the missus L67 but it has never overheated, once up to operating temp the temp gauge is real steady no matter what.