Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Mirror Interchangability with BMW

Hebbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67 Ute
Hello.

I have stumbled across a nice set of BMW E36 mirrors that look like they should mount straight up. A quick Google search for BMW E36 mirrors shows them to look identical to my VY mirrors.
The set I am looking at are manual adjust, so the wiring doesn't bother me. The switch in my door card has been broken for about a year now (mirrors only go down) and although I have a new switch in the glovebox, I haven't need to adjust them once so I don't see that as an issue.

Does anyone know if the mirrors on a VY are definitely interchangable with the E36 mirrors, or am I going to end up modifying these to make them fit?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why bother? I don't see the point if they look the same.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pretty sure 2004 Honda Civic mirrors fit.

Hebbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67 Ute
Why bother? I don't see the point if they look the same.
The set I have found look nothing like the original, but the mounting point (the triangle) looks identical.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254543095263 - this set does have the wiring, there is an identical set that doesn't. I am going to cross reference the diagrams and if I can make them work with a new plug and some soldering, I will. If not, I don't mind, as stated in the original post.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was it back in the VN-VS days in the late 90’s early 2000’s, people ditching factory mirrors and modding BMW mirrors to fit.

25 years later they look about as good as a homemade clay bowl and people fall over themselves to get genuine mirrors on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Seems a pointless exercise to me and waste of money. But if this is what floats your boat then ok fair enough.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Hebbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67 Ute
Was it back in the VN-VS days in the late 90’s early 2000’s, people ditching factory mirrors and modding BMW mirrors to fit.

25 years later they look about as good as a homemade clay bowl and people fall over themselves to get genuine mirrors on.
I don't think I've ever see a Commodore with anything but genuine mirrors on it. But then again, the VN-VS' my way are nothing but clapped out shitters that get thrashed.

Seems a pointless exercise to me and waste of money. But if this is what floats your boat then ok fair enough.
Thanks for your input. I've only seen 1 VY online with these mirrors (or similar) and it looked great on the car (IMO). That paired with the fact that every car meet where I am from is full of Mr Bodykits builds, I'd at least like something that isn't seen everyday.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Back years ago you could buy them BMW style with direct fit for vn-vs. I had a pair but never installed them, sold many years after and snapped up quick.

You can see if they fit, but the shape will be slightly different. Might be worth heading down to a wrecker to source a set cheaper to see if they are close or not.

Hebbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67 Ute
Back years ago you could buy them BMW style with direct fit for vn-vs. I had a pair but never installed them, sold many years after and snapped up quick.

You can see if they fit, but the shape will be slightly different. Might be worth heading down to a wrecker to source a set cheaper to see if they are close or not.
Having a good look at the mirrors side by side and it looks like it will take a little modification to swap them. I might pull the trigger on them and make them work.