Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY motor into a VS

MickyC_VSexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS executive 3.8L
Hey guys got a bit of an issue. Just done a engine swap putting a Vy engine into my Vs commy. I got it cranking and it sounds healthy as but it just won’t start, I put start ya bastard directly into the throttle body and goes to start but doesn’t actually run.

Fuel pump is working properly but I don’t know if it’s getting fuel to the injectors. I’ve used the Vs loom and ecu as I was told it will run the car fine and I’ve also put the plenum and injectors from the vs onto the Vy motor as I have a lifted plenum kit on it. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks. Appreciate all the help.

Ps. This is the first time I’ve ever done an engine swap, I’ve had some help from some more mechanically minded people but me and my mate have basically done it all ourselves.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Got the fuel rails hoses plugged in correctly? Checked fuel pressure?

Did you only swap the top of the intake manifold over or the entire manifold? If only the top half then that won't work as the PCV arrangement is different between the 2 and most likely you'll have a vacuum leak between the LIM and plenum.

MickyC_VSexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS executive 3.8L
Got the fuel rails hoses plugged in correctly? Checked fuel pressure?

Did you only swap the top of the intake manifold over or the entire manifold? If only the top half then that won't work as the PCV arrangement is different between the 2 and most likely you'll have a vacuum leak between the LIM and plenum.
I swapped over the entire plenum. Took out the 12 little screws and swapped them both over. I’ll attach pictures just make sure I’m doing this right. I’m pretty sure everything is on right.

The only thing we are thinking could be wrong is the fuel injector pressure regulator, it’s not sending any fuel to the fuel rail. We took it off and turned the ignition on and nothing came out which would’ve directly gone into the fuel rail.

The fuel pump definitely works as we took the fuel line off and fuel came out of the line when we turned the ignition on.

With the picture of the fuel lines the one on the left goes to the fuel injector regulator, which goes in the fuel rail. The one on the right is the return line. Is this correct?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like the fuel lines are on wrong. Fuel pressure goes into the fuel rail, the pressure regulator holds the pressure in the fuel rail and returns extra fuel back to the tank.