Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY power steering shudder @ low revs

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Is anyone else having shudder of the power steering at idle when parking/ranking/moving slowly? Local dealer says it's a common VY problem and GMH are trying to come up with a revision to apply to affected models. BTW this is on an 'S' Crewman but affects all VY's. We also have a VT 'S' but that never shudders. What are the major differences in the steering/power steering that could make it different between VT and VY?

wrexed03

Reaction score
Website
members.iinet.net.au
Mine had the same issue after sterring rack replacement on a VY. Initially it used to knock internally so i complained about it. They replaced the rack it shuddered for a day but now its fine. There might be air in the power steer lines. Try removing the cap of the steering pump and do a few lock to locks this may remove the air traped inside the system and stop this from happening. All else fails give them a hard time and they will sort it out for you.

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Thanks wrexed03 for the reply. Holden have acknowledged the VY has this particular problem so I feel it probably isnt trapped air...but yeah I might try it just in case. I have a good mate who works in the service dept at the local dealer so I will have to stir the issue up again with him :)

V

VTBerlina

take it back to holden to gewt them to change the hose. This is the recall.

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
VTBerlina said:
take it back to holden to gewt them to change the hose. This is the recall.

Actually this problem isn't the recall. Our Crewman falls outside the date/serial number range of the recall. The recall is regarding the 'potential' for a power steering hoses to rupture. It's not the shudder problem us and others are experiencing. We contacted out local dealer today and he (service manager) is looking into it Friday at a dealer conference. Thanks anyway VTBerlina :)

red rock

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive-03 VY Acclaim
Ours only started doing it after they did the recalled hose. It's going back to them to have another look, after much complaining.

DON H

Reaction score
Vy Power Steering Shudder

Last service the Holden Dealer said the shudder is normal. The VY goes in tomorrow for the new power steering hose so I will have another go at them and let you know if I have any success.

Don H

DON H

Reaction score
Vy Power Steering Shudder

I just got the VY back after the hose recall and my complaint about the shudder. The guy at Barry Robertson Holden Charmhaven (NSW CentralCoast) said that Holden were sending a kit to install which would cure the shudder problem, something about the high pressure pipes. I will let you know when this is installed and if cures the problem.

Don H

J

jarrod

My VX S sedan was one month before the recall dates and is fine the VY S tonner is a month after the recall and has the problem. It goes in for a service on friday as well as the hose problem and to check the calibration of something with the fuel tank. Even with only 20 k's to empty i can only get 51 litres in it. Loaded or not. The vx has a slightly smaller tank but i can put upto 64-65 litres in it.