Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy Radio problems

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
Hi l've got problems with the cd/radio in my vy :cry: . The volume controls on the steering wheel doesnt work properly . Some times all is fine other times the volume up button sends the volume either down or mutes it and the volume down button sends the volume up. Its driving me mad!! :ranting: Is this a common problem. All is factory fitted . The 3 year warranty expires in March 2006 ,should l get it looked at. Also should the radio go off once the ignition is turned straight off or is there a delay. l need input ............................thanks

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
The steering wheel control buttons must be a common fault as mine were the same and they replaced the buttons under warranty without any question (even though it was intermittent). The new buttons are a softer action, definately a different mechanism to the old.

Your radio should stay on until you open the driver door, unless you have left the accessories on (in which case it stays on). I think it may eventually shut itself off if you did not open the door, the time is possibly programmable through the computer options (I think).

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
Thanks Mark ,l'll take the car back then.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
The radio turning off depends on your settings, you can have either as soon as ignition is killed, or as soon as ignition is off and door is opened, this is set in your options menu.

As for the auto timeout thing, if you open the door and then turn the radio on (to override the auto turn off) the radio will play for 1 hour and then turn off to save battery.

J

Jrmcleod

Get the buttons fixed at your Holden Dealer, quite a common fault. The buttons need replacing. Mine did exactly what yours are doing with the volume up muting etc.

fruity said:
Hi l've got problems with the cd/radio in my vy :cry: . The volume controls on the steering wheel doesnt work properly . Some times all is fine other times the volume up button sends the volume either down or mutes it and the volume down button sends the volume up. Its driving me mad!! :ranting: Is this a common problem. All is factory fitted . The 3 year warranty expires in March 2006 ,should l get it looked at. Also should the radio go off once the ignition is turned straight off or is there a delay. l need input ............................thanks

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Mine has started playing up on the weekend, the radio off when you open the door feature has decided to stop working, which is quite annoying! At first I thought perhaps it was a sticky switch on the door sensor, but the interior light is turning on and of no problems at all. It used to work fine, has only recently started doing it. Anyone else seen this one?

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Hmmm, just found out what caused it (but doesn't help me explain why it does it!!) I put a UHF radio in the ute last week, connected it to the cigarette lighter plug wiring for power. Now if I have the CB turned off, when I turn the ute off and open the door, the radio doesn't turn off. However, if I have the CB turned on whne I turn the ute off and open the door, the radio (and CB) both turn off. Had a fiddle this morning and found that if I have my phone charger plugged in to the cigarette plug then this will also be enough to turn the radio off. It obviously now requires some kind of drain on the cigarette plug for it to work... Any ideas? (I don't mind leaving my phone charger plugged in so I reckon that'll do me, just curious though.)

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
maxy0987 said:
The radio turning off depends on your settings, you can have either as soon as ignition is killed, or as soon as ignition is off and door is opened, this is set in your options menu.

As for the auto timeout thing, if you open the door and then turn the radio on (to override the auto turn off) the radio will play for 1 hour and then turn off to save battery.

Thanks Maxxy l'll try it.If it works you'll make my daughter happy. She likes to sit in the car listening to the music then freaks out when the radio switches off. :rofl:

D

drift450

yeah, radio volume turned to full, could adjust. Turned off radio and seemed to fix, hasn't done it since. But was only the other week.

You can change whethere the accessories stay on or turn off with ignotion or door. See manual and it tells you to adjust with the trip meter controls just after turning ignition on.
Only works on the drivers door though. If you exit via passanger, it stays on.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I had a similar problem with mine also... This topic has been discussed in the 'Problems with VY's' section aswell. I replaced mine, and have not had a problem since...