Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Senator, Exhaust questions

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys i just brought a VY senator signature and was just looking at upgrading the exhaust.from what I am told the car came standard with stainless steel extractors and twin 2-1/4 inch exhaust. I wanted to ugrade the exhaust to get a nicce sound out of it as well as some extra power
My question is is it worth my while changing the full system(extractors, cats and exhaust) or just replacing from the cat back. If i was to replace it all i would get pacemaker extractors, hi-flow cats and twin 2-1/2 inch xforce(stainless steel) exhaust.
What are the standard HSV extractors and cats like?
Thanx in advance

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
mate, depends on your budget and the shopping around you do to get the best price.

I am in the same boat, I've a 04 VY2 Clubby. I'm opting for a cat back system only at this stage due to funds.

Also the HSV extractors on the series 2 are a much better header than previous models and from all accounts and people (performance shops) i've spoken to, it is agreed that the HSV headers in our cars are good enough. That being said, of course there are probably better headers out there as an aftermarket option, eg, di fillipo, pacey's etc -

one thing to consider though, is the expense of getting headers included going to give you the best bang for your buck over the factory ones, maybe if you want to chase every last KW out of the engine maybe, but i'd like to know the gain in aftermarket brands over factory HSV extractors on our cars, just out of curiosity.

look at the search function mate, there's a heap load of info on all this and more...even look at LS1.com.au...best of all speak personally to performance shops around your area.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I've got X-Force catback, hi flow cats and Pacemaker 4-1's. X-Force sounds ok but you could do better. Not the best sounding exhaust out there.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
dump the HSV headers, too restrictive. I changed headers, sounds perfect for what I want, quiet on low rpm, but very throaty under acceleration(kept original back).

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
I talked to a few exhaust people and was told that in my Senator(series 1) the extractors and cats are pretty good and not worth spending the extra money on new ones so i have decided to keep it like that and get a cat back system. What would be a good system to get? It has to be dual 2.5", but dont know what brand would sound the best and give best performance. I am planning on getting one without the rear resinator. Also is it worth spending that extra $500 to get a stainless steel system or stick to mild steel?

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
I have finally made the decision and booked my car in to get the system done. I am going with pacemaker extractors, Magnaflow High-flow cats and a redback twin 2.5inch exhaust with deleted rear resinator. After calling around a few places this seems to be the best option for sound and performace i am told i should gain 25hp over the stock HSV system and will have one loud mean sounding car.

I will let you all know how it goes after it is installed tomorrow

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
I have finally made the decision and booked my car in to get the system done. I am going with pacemaker extractors, Magnaflow High-flow cats and a redback twin 2.5inch exhaust with deleted rear resinator. After calling around a few places this seems to be the best option for sound and performace i am told i should gain 25hp over the stock HSV system and will have one loud mean sounding car.

I will let you all know how it goes after it is installed tomorrow
OMG not a redback should have at least got a X force I think you may get some drone from removing the rear resi as well
1 3/4 4 into 1 headers and 3" metal substrate cats is a good choice

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Exhaust got done yesterday and i am very happy with the sound and the power. i have noticed the power increase but now i just need a mafless tune. The car is now very loud and has a nice note to it.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is "drone". i am not totally sure what it is.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
Exhaust got done yesterday and i am very happy with the sound and the power. i have noticed the power increase but now i just need a mafless tune. The car is now very loud and has a nice note to it.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is "drone". i am not totally sure what it is.
hard to explain but drone is where the exhaust makes a sort of huming noise the
eco's through your head and is really annoying
it is usually at 80-90km or where the motor is labouring
with the rear resy removed you may get it
some are worse then other though