Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series 1

V

VY Commodore

Hi,
This is my first entry and I hope not my last.
I was wondering if the speaker wiring loom is there for the rear parcel shelf on the VY Series 1 Commodore?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey, welcome to the forums! I hope it's not your last as well! Anyway, yes the loom is there! My memory is failing me at the moment as to if you will find it tucked away in the boot or under the parcel shelf itself.

waterbottleVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
hey I just bought a VY Series 1 executive, does this mean you can fit 6x9's on the rear shelf and plug em into the wiring loom at the back and they will go, or is there more involved. Also does anyone have any comments on the quality of sound coming from their standard stereo system (I know its pretty crappy, i mean isn't the head unit 80 watts or something), mine doesn't seem to like high frequency sounds (any sharp sounds) very much and is very dull an lifeless. I set all the setting back to standard on the headunit to no avail. would this be the speakers or the headunit causing poor sound?

thanks
waterbottle

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
VY..regarding the 6x9s...thats exactly what it means IF you disconnect the rear door speakers. If allfour rears are running it's to much load on the amplifier and will faill through time. Personally, I'm quite with the new Blaupunkts Holden are using.

waterbottleVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
What do u mean Blaupunkts holden are using. I have the single cd (bottom of the range) Blaupunkt. Does the Blaupunkt in the VZ vary (ie more output).

Sound like the best thing to do is get one of your low output chips put in and buy an amp + sub + 6*9's.

Can't do that just yet (in the last weeks of finishing year 12) but when I get some dosh (and pay my parents some of the money back I owe them for the car) how much would that set me back for medium range equipment?

thanks

azteche

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Exec
In the setting's menu on the Dash when you first start your car, there is a setting in there called "Audio Distortion Limiter" or something like that. I turned that off, and noticed I got a little more out of the speakers without it really distorting.
Give it a go yourself, and see how it sounds.

A!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hi All.

YES!! Turn OFF that bloody "distortion limiting" thing! I'll bet that's where your problem is coming from waterbottle. There are very minor differences between the VY/VZ units, but not in the output spec department. It's not a particularly high end unit, but not that bad either.

Hey King - this looks like a perfect opportunity to plug my low-level modification for the Blaupunkt!! :D (going great by the way - done two four-channel installs now, very happy customers!)

Cheerz!

waterbottleVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
About how much does it cost for someone like yourself to put the four-channel low-level modification in the Blaupunkt headunit. What sort of amp, speakers and/or subs are you combining it with?
thanks

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'day again waterbottle.

Really, the choice of amp and speakers behind my buffer board are purely at the users' discretion! What the buffer does is provide beautifully clean low level signals out of the head unit - Where the go beyond that is all personal preference. I personally love the Jaycar/Response stuff, but others have their fave brands. Regarding "bang-for-buck" though, Response stuff is hard to beat. (and no I DON'T work for Jaycar! Never have, I just like their gear.)

The buffer in my own car is only 2 channels (rear L+R), and I run that to a 4x50W Response amp, but set it up as two bridged channels. This drives a pair of Response 7x10s in the parcel shelf.

The first of the 4 channel boards I fitted ran out to a Pioneer 4 channel amp (can't remember the model) with the TS160 (?) kevlar splits in the front doors, and kevlar 6x9s on the parcel shelf - sounded great! The next one was set up with subs (2 10" units in the boot) and rattled the windows in my house while it was parked in the driveway! (well, almost! ;) )

Shoot me a PM if you need to know anything else, we can work something out regarding fitment as well.

Cheerz! :thumbsup: