Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Speakers

Joshua

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Gday all can anyone tell me what sort and size speakers are in the doors of a vy ss ute from factory, this is so much easier than pullin the door trim off myself..

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Josh.

They're 6 inch units, and pretty bloody crappy ones actually!! ;)

Aftermarket 6" units will pretty much drop straight in, although if the magnet structure is large you might have to trim the back of the plastic "pods" they mount into. 6 1/2" units will fit, but it will take a bit more trimming of the plastic pods to slightly increase the diameter - they do fit fine though.

Hope it helps, Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Joshua

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Helps heaps thanks, What sort of aftermarket speakers would u recommend? Been lookin at a few pioneer and alpine ones but dont really have much of an idea.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I can vouch for the Pioneer TSC160R (kevlar splits) - they'll drop in apart from the back trimming that I referred to before, and they sound great. There are also some gorgeous Rockford units (the model number I can't remember), but they are 6.5" and will require a trim around the speaker hole as well. Either of these though (around the same price range) work really nicely. I've not done any work with Alpine, but they have a damn good reputation - they are spendy though, I think a bit of what you pay is for the badge.

For something a little more "wallet friendly" ;) , I can also attest to the Jaycar (Response) 6" or 6.5" kevlar splits - again,. the 6" will require just the back of the pod trimmed to clear the magnet structure, the 6.5" will need about 5mm trimmed all the way around the mounting flange. In my own opinion, the Response brand well out-perform the Pioneer units of the same price range. (the TSC160R I referred to above are about double the price of the Response... they are appreciably better though)

Best of luck! Cheerz.

Joshua

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Cool i look into it,, Another question, how do I ago about gettin the rca upgrade kit done on the factory unit???

Josh

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
OK, well you could either take a drive down to Penrith or mail your H/U and cradle to me and I could fit it for you, or if you're fairly good with electronic soldering and so on I can send you a self-install kit. It does involve stripping the unit down though, so obviously there is potential for damage if the job isn't done right.

Have a think about it anyhow. Cheerz!

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
there is nothing wrong with the standard vy speakers i had my head unit alpine CDA-9857 hook to them and had 2 amp powered 6*9's on the parcel tray and the car sounded awesome. They sound crap with the standard head deck but are seriously really good if you get an affter market head unit hooked to them.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Aren't the factory speakers 5 Watts or something from memory? Pretty ordinary really, and from looking at the construction of them (paper cone, magnet size etc) I cant see how they would sound any good with anything powering them.

Are you sure it wasn't just the 6x9's you were hearing drowning the factory speakers out?

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
nar i didnt install the 6*9's until about a week after the head deck so they werent being drowned out by them, i dont think anyone else has tried using the standard speakers before but they are really good