Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS 2002 Commodore - Fuel consumption? Etc.

Toadlet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not own yet
Hey,

Looking at buying an VY SS Commodore (2002) - Obviously.

I'm female so please correct me if I don't know the 'lingo' :p

It's Hothouse Green, 165,000kms, full leather seats, additional sunroof, soundsystem upgraded (subwofer in boot), tinted windows.

Well looked after, mostly highway kms, owned by commodore enthusiast :p

Asking price is $21,000 - Going to negotiate around $15,000

1: Is $15,000 fair?
2: Is fuel consumption high? - We travel long distances
3: Was the "Hothouse Green" a limited edition? Or just popular as they seem to be more expensive?

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Welcome to the forums.

1. Yeah 21k is far too much considering the kms and its one of the first of the VY's. Around 15k is a bit more realistic. I paid around 15 for mine 6 months ago with 130kms, although it doesnt have goodies like leather or s/r.
2. Depends what you are used to. Expect around 16-18L/100kms around town (some people will say they use less) and between 10-12 on the motorway.
3. H/H wasnt a limited edition AFAIK, but I think its a bit rarer than black or silver. Its a love it or hate it colour.

Good luck!

festa1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
21k he is dreaming i just bought a 2002 vy ss with only 70k on clock for way less than that my advice would be to shop around if he wont budge on price. mine is obviously heavier on fuel than my old car
but i knew that before i bought it so i expected it

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hey,

It's Hothouse Green, 165,000kms, full leather seats, additional sunroof, soundsystem upgraded (subwofer in boot), tinted windows.
3: Was the "Hothouse Green" a limited edition? Or just popular as they seem to be more expensive?

1. Have a look at Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au for similar VYSS cars with similar kms in South Aust and you will see the asking prices for other vehicles. $21000 is a very high price for a 165000 km car.

2. If you are concerned about running costs then do not buy a VYSS. You take a hit on fuel costs for a V8, higher rego costs and higher insurance costs which is all ok if you are happy to pay. Maintenance will also be a little more expensive. It's not a budget buy and fuel costs are not going down. If dreaded "carbon taxes" are introduced as the ALP and Greens want to see happen , V8s will be hit big time unfortunately.

3. Hothouse Green was not such a "popular" colour. The colour was dropped some time ago. Popular colours have continued in the model line up.

4. Be VERY VERY wary about buying a car with such high kms. The sellers of high km cars usually say its "mostly highway kms". Regardless, the more kms the more wear on all components and you could face significant repair billls to keep the car running and roadworthy. So be ready for that. There are VYs and VZs available with much lower Kms and you should desirably be looking at one of these.

5. Make sure you get a full mechanical inspection done on the car. There are a few businesses that offer this service and its worth spending the money so you know what you are getting. It does not matter what sound system is fitted to the car or if it's got an optional sunroof. It's not much use when you are stranded with a mechanical failure or you do not have the spare cash to replace the non-repairable radiator that now has hole in it or the failed water pump that has to be replaced etc etc .....

6. Spend a few minutes to read some of the threads on this forum which show you what goes wrong with these cars , such as the "Issues with VYs" thread.

RicheCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY CV8 Monaro
Hey,

Well my 03 Monaro was getting 21 - 22 around town and 15 on the hwy. After the tune I get about 17 city a 8 on the hwy. It's all in the right foot.

VRAddiction

its never fast enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Manual Ute
yeah i found the same i get the 16-18 but then again you dont buy a v8 if your concerned about fuel consumption lol
i paid 17K for mine not with the options but its a series 2 and only 105K on it about 6 months ago and manual.....but i do have a lot of fun in it :)
taking it to the track soon cant wait!!

hope i have helped at all

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
first off.. 21k.. wayyy too much i paid 25k for my car (picture and "my ride") leather, sunroof, imac condition.

fuel consumption.. when i bought it it had a trip meter of 4,400 kms average over the last 4,400 kms was 10.8 L/h (that was mixed driving mostly m7 with a tad city driving) so thats a pretty good figure on fuel consumption..

dont know what price you should pay and am not going to look it up but thats a guide on what i paid/got.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
ls1's respond very well to tunes as far as fuel consumption and power is concerned. You will be looking at around the 14-16 ltr per 100klm. around town but on the trip could get in the low 8's so if you buy one tune it, best money you'll ever spend. $21000 is way too expensive for that car, regardless of how well maintained it is. For that price you'd get into a vz ss.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
I agree with Sean880, look for one with lower km's as 165 is starting to get up there.

Toadlet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not own yet
Thanks for all the replies... Probably going to look at something totally different online, may take a punt on this car and offer a lower price, if it isn't accepted i'll move on :) Inspecting it tomorrow.