Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS.. New Clutch.. Shuddering bad!

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey lads,

Just had local mechanic put a new Excedy HD clutch in the SS, the car has NEVER shuddered/chattered when taking off before but now it does. Seems the SLOWER I let my foot off the worse it gets.. I've done around 200ks since the clutch got put in and it hasn't got any better, think a trip back to the mechanics may be in order but before I do just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or may know what the actual issue is?

Cheers!
Nick

ls1gino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
Hi mate, had the cushioned heavy duty excedy clutch kit in my VY SS and it shuddered quite a lot. Wouldnt do it all the time because I eventually found the sweet spot where it would kind of be smoothe but eventually it got worse over time to. I solved the problem but going auto lol.
Cheers
Gino

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Haha cheers mate, done around 150-200k's in it since it got fitted Tuesday and it's got slightly better the last few days maybe.. anyone else?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
try doing 4 - 5 hard take offs in 3rd gear. That usually fixes them.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Just a bit off topic but how much did you pay for the clutch kit and install?. Thanks

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
try doing 4 - 5 hard take offs in 3rd gear. That usually fixes them.

Really? I'll give that a go lol, cheers.

And SS-Rex, managed to swing a few favours and get most of it at a cheap/cost price. Labour was really good, only $660, was epxecting close to $1k..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The heavy duty clutches tend to shudder, the trick is not to ride it. It's either in or out. You just need to learn how to use the clutch all over again.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers dude.. have driven cars with HD clutches before and been alright, but this one been brand new would make sense.. see how it goes over next couple weeks!

The heavy duty clutches tend to shudder, the trick is not to ride it. It's either in or out. You just need to learn how to use the clutch all over again.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Exedy HD clutchs are known to shudder. As NAAF said its either on or off, you cant ride a HD clutch. you will just have to learn to drive it again.

Rosco994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy V6 S2 Ute
And SS-Rex, managed to swing a few favours and get most of it at a cheap/cost price. Labour was really good, only $660, was epxecting close to $1k..

I had a single mass flywheel put in my s-pack for $412.