Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY steering wheel controls drop out with park lights (FIXED!)

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
yeah thanks, unfortunate it says exactly what you told me... thanks anyway.. ill do some more digging, thanks for your time. Cheers. Ray.

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yes I did... thanks for that... I am thinking that maybe the clock spring might have been changed at some point in time... and their may be a wire asses about.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Dunno, just don't touch anything with a yellow plug.. lots of flash bangs in there lol.. certainly an odd one. Keep us updated ;)

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yes I made sure the airbag fuse was out before I was playing in there... scared myself a few times sorting the horn out! Would not have been fun if that was the airbag lol

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Yep, I dropped off the batt when changing over steering wheel controls. Two things I don't like working on, airbags and coil suspension. Good luck :)

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
OK.... SO.... FIXED....

Firstly, thanks for the help and diagram.

so what was it. this could happen to anyone...

at some point, the steering wheel controls have been changed out for controls from a standard VY...
i make this assumption because holden do not write "VY" in yellow marker on the parts before fitting.

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

now, i find mixed reports that the steering wheel control buttons light up on a VY SS... not sure if the original ones in this car ever did or not, but the illumination wire is there for the to light up... obviously the replacement buttons do not light up.

Shown here the wires going into the clock spring.
Brown (steering wheel control) | Brown/White (Illumination) | Black/White (Ground) | Black/Yellow (Horn) | (airbag)
i found that the Brown, and Brown/white wires were going straight to the steering wheel control wiring plug. This meant that without lights on i had a ground for the resister loop, but i had a +12v being fed back through the buttons to the brown wire while the lights were on.
IMG_1004.JPG

so to fix this, i removed one of the pins from the steering wheel control plug (the pin that was going to the illumination wire) and through it to ground.
i did this using a crimp terminal, so i could return it to standard wiring if/when i put light up steering wheel controls back in
IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

so all in all, very happy to have this fixed...

i hope this information helps as least one person at some time in the future.

kiimsalam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S1 HBD
Hey guys, i know this is an old post, but ive bought a VY Series 2 steering wheel controls to fix my old one that was broken, and ive checked that this one has LEDs in them, my car is a series 1, so originally the controls that came with the car doesn't lit up, im trying to make use of the LEDs but im not sure which wire to patch them to, to get power.

Last edited: