Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Steering Wheel 'Next ^' Button Popped Off...[PICS]

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As the title states, i was flicking through radio stations like mad today and the button simply clicked out of place. For the life of me, i cannot get it to stay in the original position again. It looks like there may have been a spring that held the button in place or something. Is this correct?

Rang Holden and as expected, you can't buy the single buttons for the Vy and the whole controls have to be purchased = over $100 plus tampering around the air bag. Really would like to avoid if possible, does anyone know how to get around this?

Even if i can simply stick it in the original position would be fine for me, just want it looking like before, couldn't care if it worked or not. Should i look for a spring to fit back in there? will it get it working?

Its an SS Series 1 if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,478

Davesvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
S VZ Utility
Same thing happened to me last week on my VZ actually, called Holden and they wanted 158.00 for the whole unit (not including fitting costs) as they don't sell the buttons by themselves. Just look on eBay or a local wrecking yard for a second hand unit and fit it yourself, think I saw a guide on here somewhere how to remove the front steering wheel cover to get to the buttons, also correct me if I'm wrong but the air bag does not need to be touched in order to do the change over as long as your handy should be rather straight forward.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The airbag has to be removed to change the buttons over.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
See that's what I'm worried about, tampering with the air bag to fit this. And honestly speaking, really don't want to be buying the whole control system and tampering with the whole wheel just because a spring fell out.

It's such a pain when little things like this go wrong and the only way to fix is tear apart 2 other things to fix. Don't know why holden decided to stop selling individual buttons, they were up till the vx.

Bloody pain. Any ideas??

Davesvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
S VZ Utility
The airbag has to be removed to change the buttons over.

Hmm well that screws my plans up then... unless would you guys recommend trying it yourself? If you where reasonably confident what would likely go wrong or is it as easy as this guide says?

power_hungry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 commodore
id just try find a new wheel out of the paper on a smashed car and just put the newer one on...

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I would never contemplate swapping the whole wheel for this.. i mean its only a button that lost its spring, air bag, wheel & controls still function 100%.

Looks like Ive got to give the silicone a shot.

HSVSENATORVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY HSV SENATOR S1 GEN3
it's not hard to do a swap if you are going to replace the wheel you have to take the air bag off and you should just do it when it's off just unhook you battery 10min before you do anything small blade screwdriver remove the air bag take the wires off and unscrew the phillips head screws change the do it in reverse it's not hard and there are not single buttons there complete units for both sides of the wheel you can not just replace one button.