Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy sump

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
washed the car about 2 weeks ago and was moving it from the grass back onto the drive way which the drive way is at a different level with brick guttering, drove the car off onto the drive way and heard a load bang.

noticed oil under the car where i park it

could i have punctured the sump?

how thick is the metal on the bottom of the sump?

thanks

CommodoreAdict

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
You need to have a look underneath.. you have either cracked it or taken a chunk out of it and either way its a very expensvie fix/replace.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Definitely needs looking at buddy , VY sumps are Aluminium Cast alloy, very easy to crack.
About $250 to buy a newie but often there is one on Ebay less than $100 , guys take them off to convert engines to rear bowl sump (steel) to suit early Holdens. Trouble is you have to raise engine to get old one off & fit new one , plus $50 for a gasket , so labour is costly . Still cheaper than doing nothing & running out of oil & completely stuffing engine!!!!!! Cannot weld up satisfacorily as Aluminium gets impregnated with oil & wont really get a good weld.

Jono191

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Thunder Ute.
Dont know if this will help much but holden told me i had a leak round my sump and just to change the gasket was quoted $1750 and thats with keeping my old sump to.

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
**** new gasket.

bit of time, and $10 tube of RTV. ;)

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I doubt it's cracked, you'd be unlucky to say the least. Get down there and have a look around for witness marks and if you see nothing, keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it's not leaking somewhere you can't see.

If it does need replacing male sure you don't get a VS/ VT/ VX sump to replace it with as the VY is a larger capacity design. You can tell by the front (hammerhead) section being wider by 5 or so cm on the VY.

If it does need replacing, you may be better off going an ASR oil pan. They are a very nice unit and have a few more baffles for oil control than the stocker

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
What's the colour of the oil as I you are running a few different types.. There's also plenty of low things to remove.. As everyone has stated.. You will only know if you have a good look :)

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
my mate ws quoted 1200 for a complete replacement sump

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
took my baby to holden
they looked at it and found the rear sump seal had gone so they working on it

all under warrenty aswell BONUS

i will be a happy chappy when i get it back

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
If anyone ever cracks there sump, you can get them welded. I cracked my sump in my old VS. Took it to my dads factory who is a Sheet Metal Worker. He welded it up using aluminium weld wire and it came up perfect. Never leaked again. Was quite a neat job as well. Worth attempting this first if the crack is in an accessible spot.