Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SV8 review

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Ok so ive been longing to drive a V8. and am thinking about getting one as my next car.
Today i got the opportunity to drive one.
Went to my local dealership and test drove a VY SV8. auto. 70 thou on the clock and wanting $23G.
Salesman said would you like a drive... hell yeah! Never driven one like this!
The nice young salesman drove it out the yard giving it a bit of a bootful and i thought hmm good atleast its not goin to be a boring test drive.
Up the road we stopped and i jumped in and headed for the hills. (where i mainly want this car to excel).
So i as i waited on the side of the road to wait for a bit of a gap so i wouldnt get caught behind anyone i then proceeded to put my boot into it to see what im in for.
Pwr button on- Traction off....Indicate...Foot buried... lots of growl... no wheel spin!?... and we are heading for the hills.
First thing i notice is its sure footed. Plenty of grip plenty of brake, nice handling. Road straightens bury my foot again, trans kicks back and takes off... and im thinking hey my car has the same power ?? what gives??? the revs pick up past 3-4 G and you could feel the car just wanting to go more, but just as im thinking this is great ... on with the brake, turn the corner.. nice cornering...hit the straight bury it again up the straight. Foot Flat!...keeping it flat wondering hey where is all this V8 power ive been lusting for?? the salesman in the back mumbles something along the same line.
We work out hey maybe im just in a too high of a gear?? fair enough i thought well ill drop the lever and keep it in 2nd. we are over the hill and riding over the crest flooring it whenever i can. The road straightens bam! give it the right foot in 2nd gear...waiting... foot still flat...waiting...gets to 4G oh **** now its got the power! oh **** now now ive got to brake for the corner! thank you holden for the great brakes and firm suspension. pity i had to wait for the power to kick in! Get to the intersection for the incline drive all the way back to the yard. Indicate, push the right foot down and lets see what happens on the down side!. No cars in front, cool, i know this road so lets see what the brakes are really like. Give it a blat, size up for the corner, brake, turn, nice one!. Comparing it to my VS V6 im thinking well im not goin any faster just that im cornering and braking better therfore faster in around the corners! Really nice and feeling confident driving this car and not as sqirmish as the VS of mine on stock 15s with the povo RE92's.
Anyway before we know it we hit the 60 sign and back into the land of the living. Stick it back into drive for the quiet and uneventful drive back to Holdens. Red light! oh damn i have to stop. waiting... Green light! Push the foot down, a bit of a growl (stock exhaust) and we are at 80kms, better slow down dont need a ticket! =)
Back into the yard cautiously turn the key off an i sit there wondering do i have a stiffy like i thought i would??? No was the answer! Looked at the litres per 100kms... **** over 30kms per 100??? My car has never gone over 18 after a bit of a play in the hills! that aint good...
I Give the keys back to the nice salesman and i thank him and i walk of with my fiance and she said you didnt get a stiff did you love? and i had to say no i didnt !! damn it why not?? i really wanted to! i really wanted something to aspire me to start saving up! I gave it more than i thought i would be allowed and it just didnt do it for me! Hell yeah it sounded awsome but it just didnt push me back into my seat like i thought it would. I just know that my VS has just as much push back into the seat up to 80kms as the V8 did. Yeah sure from 80kms onward the V8 would kick my Ecotec ass! Yeah it didnt have the aussie growl but is it really worth all the money??
So its really got me wondering know... is this the car of my dreams?? or should i take the VZ SV6 out for the same trip?? Surely this car has to be lighter and just as quick if not quicker off the mark!? Maybe i should give the Astra along side of it a go?? even thought its a 4? might be alright around the tight winding stuff?? way better economy! Maybe should i give the VS a suspension up grade?? I changed the shocks not long ago. Ive thought about getting her some 16-17 inch wheels and better rubber....

It seemed like that it has alot of unusable power. Dont get me wrong when i got up to speed it had plenty of it but it didnt thrill me when i wanted it to and it was too quick when i didnt want it to be quick!...if that makes sense!?

Thanx for reading this as it was a big deal for me as to what i should get as a next car as i thought that it was a no brainer ... id love a V8 of course but im unsure now.

Totally up for feedback - positive or negative - im up for it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, would love to see your VS 6 go as hard as a stock LS1....around 2-3 seconds stock difference 1/4 times...

Drive a tuned LS1, driving a slug of a stock set-up is pointless. Your 6 feels like it goes faster because it is noisier and sounds like it could break at any moment. Silent cars always feel slow.

Mrs SV8 does just nicely, yet to get into a holden 6 that feels even slightly faster than it.

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
lol, would love to see your VS 6 go as hard as a stock LS1....around 2-3 seconds stock difference 1/4 times...

Drive a tuned LS1, driving a slug of a stock set-up is pointless. Your 6 feels like it goes faster because it is noisier and sounds like it could break at any moment. Silent cars always feel slow.

Mrs SV8 does just nicely, yet to get into a holden 6 that feels even slightly faster than it.

All good points! Of course the Ls1 goes faster - you cant beat cubic inches!
147 kw compared to the 235kw!! you dont have to be a scientist to work it out what got more grunt!
Yes silent cars feel slow, The SV8 also was way smoother! It a bit like professionals at whatever they do make it look easy compared to when you are learning.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the vy also has a more refined body/chassis than a vs, howabout taking a 250kw vz ss/sv8 for a drive?

also nothing is good in its stock form, after a few small mods you will notice the differance

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
what you done was graduly push the loud peddly the box wont change, and the engine is lathargik.
if you stabbed the loud peddle it get's angry, quick change and an angry engine.