Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ute system

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
Looking to get these as a crissy present to put into my ute

its not my entire setup, just what i can get from the rents

My basic list, after doing some reading is this

Pioneer GM-D8500M Mono Car Amplifier Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer GM-D8500M Mono Car Amplifier($379.85)

Pioneer TS-SW2501 10" Shallow Subwoofer - 2Ohm Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 10" Shallow Subwoofer($279.85)

Pioneer TS-D1720C Car Speakers
Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer Car Audio TS-D1720C Car Speakers($319.85)

Atm im running a kenwood headunit, but ill be upgrading to a pioneer setup and also purchasing a amp for the front speakers down the track

Pleas also note this is in a VY UTE and that i play more heavy rock music than big bass so thats why im going 10'' sub

Any feedback would be great :D

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A few questions and suggestions.

A $380 amp to drive a $280 sub ?

As far as value for money is concerned, you will notice more of a difference if you direct more of your budget into the speakers / subs themselves, rather than the amplifiers, providing of course that the amplifiers still remain suitable for the application.

That mono block amplifier puts out 600 rms @ 2 ohm, which is double the rated input power of your chosen sub, which is a 2ohm SVC, and has a nominal power handling of 300 watts. I'm all for head room, but i think you could do better by getting a less expensive, and less powerful yet still suitable amp, and putting the remaining money into another area of the build.

Onto the speakers. You said that you will be later purchasing an amplifier to power them. My suggestion here, would be spending slightly less on your front speakers, and with the money saved by using a cheaper mono block, you could now afford to amplify them, rather than running them from the factory unit.

Front speakers are hugely important, but what's more important is getting the most out of what gear you have, rather than limiting the performance of better quality components. It's not a bad list what you have put together, but honestly you could do a bit better as far as value for money is concerned.

Your total so far was $980.

I would go more along the lines of -

Sub - 250-300
Sub amp - 150-200
Fronts 250-300
Front amp -150-200

Your other option could be using a 4 channel amplifier, and bridging the rear 2 channels to drive the sub seeing as you are only after around 300 watts rms. This would work out cheaper and would leave you with a bit left over out of your budget, which i would reccomend spending on some sound deadning material for your front doors, or otherwise could be directed back into the budget for the front speakers.

Last edited:

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
can i 2 subs off the first mono block amp i put up?? if theyre both no bigger than 300rms?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yes you can run two subs of the 8500, however as it is only 2 ohm stable, you would have to use two of the 4 ohm versions of that sub wired down to a 2 ohm load.

Secondly, what's with all the Pioneer? If you keep everything from the same manafactuer, then all you are doing is limiting yourself to what components they have to offer. There's no synergy to be had between manafactuer's components, at least at this price range anyway.

The Pioneer subs are decent value when your chasing a slim line sub, but there are cheaper mono block amps to be had which would do just as good of a job.

A higher quality amp may make an audible difference in a higher quality system, but it's all about balance. It would be like fitting 10 inch wide slicks to a standard Gemini.

Last edited:

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
NSW/. parramatta specifically

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
I just finished my demo car, I'm in Liverpool. Did you want a listen?