Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Fuel Guage moving very slowly.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
I'll set the scene.

I was running a bit low on fuel this morning, so before work I chucked $50 of 98PULP in and headed off, but my fuel gauge didn't move like normal. the computer said I still only had 110k left in the tank. I know fuel entered the tank because I heard the nozzle squirting ouyt the fuel and I could hear fuel entering the tank.

over the course of the day my fuel gauge has risen, but only very slightly, it now says I have 180k left in the tank and the gauge has moved up about a quarter of a tank.

My girlfriend said that this happened before when she borrowed my ute, but by the time I got the ute back, everything was fine again.

I Have an old commodore manual that says that I have to remove the tank to check the sender, but it doesn't cover the utes, and I know the tank is directly under the removable tray panel.

Is there any easy fix for this? or do I still have to drop the tank?

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Fuel sender Resistance Problem. Might be a dirty contact. Sh** fuel over time will speed this up. Pull your sender out and see what the connections are like you might have to clean/replace it. My VY Clubby did this once. Problem was a bad battery, had all sorts of electrical issues before i replaced the battery, including the sender issue.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Have a look in the hand book with ya car and it,ll tell ya,small amounts of fuel can take up to 10 mins to register,so $50 at say 1.45cpl would mean around 35 litres,which equates to say half a tank. Mate next time fill her up and see if the gauge rockets straight up to full.I wouldnt go spending replacing anything just yet

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
I experienced this issue yesterday.

Fill up the tank. Only registers half a tank.

Dunno what to do.

krizza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S1
I experienced this issue yesterday.

Fill up the tank. Only registers half a tank.

Dunno what to do.

I had a similar experience except it was only when the tank was completely full ie. fill up tank and a minute or so later I would get a low fuel warning and the gague would drop to empty. Go around a corner / bump etc and it would register full and the do it again a few seconds later. Then it would start reading correctly after 30km or so once the fuel level dropped a bit.

I put ~500ml of metho in the tank (no E10 in Perth at that time) and filled up in the hope it was varnish / corrosion at the very top of the fuel sender potentiometer and it would clean it up. No more problems since and that was about 1 year ago, so I would give a tank of E10 a go.

Of course if the problem is across a lot more of the senders range it might not completely fix the issue.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Thanks for the tips guys! Will definitely try them out.