Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY v6 Ignition leads feel loose.

adalimbi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Wagon
Hi, I have been having trouble with my VY for quite some time, it was surging, misfiring under load when at running temp and bogging down when excellerating. I have replaced plugs, leads, tested coils by replace them 1 at a time with a new one, cleaned MAF and IAT, replaced IPS, fuel filter, fuel rail pressure reg was smelling fuel occasionally), the little hose at the back of it, Air filter and a few other bits and pieces. Today I was having AC fixed and thought I would check the leads again as I have had the odd 1 come off or come loose. I notice 1 was wobby so I pulled it off squeezed the end with pliers to close it up a tad and when putting it back on it felt like the plug was loose..YEP! very loose. Replaced all the plugs again and a few where just snug and 1 tight. In doing all of this a few leads were easy to get off, some hard. Putting them back on, 2 clicked and the rest didn't despite how much I swore at them and shoved and wiggled. Car ran worse and after 30 minutes , one of the leads popped off (they always come off on drivers side) I went through and checked them all again and swore harder at them and got 1 more to click on. car is running great again. So, my question is (sorry for the long winded lead up) do the leads have to click onto the plugs? If so how the effing hell do you get them on then???? Cheers.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
replace the leads if they more than 2 years they are old. They should be reasonable tight on the plug as you say yours are falling off replace them they don't just come off by themselves.