Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 not starting

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
pull rocker covers and see if valves are moving

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep. There is something off with the timing.

You need someone to get a few sensor inputs hooked up to their Picoscope and start looking at what data is being produced and when in the timing cycle.

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
Hey guys, I've read several posts on here and nothing has helped with my problem

Got a vy v6 was doing 100km then suddenly spluttered and then died and hasn't started since (6months) since, it just crank and cranks and tries to start everytime, like the timing is out... it's got spark fuel and air, I've done numerous testing, changed crank sensor, cam sensor, checked fuel pump,filter bypassed hole fuel system, fuel pump in bucket and lines hooked up. borrowed injectors rail and reg still no change, changed plugs leads dfi Coil pack, still no change, coughs and splutters even on stard ya bastard, still hard to stsrt on it. I've checked wirings between the sensors and dfi module, I've added additional earth's, I've had 3 cars jumping it nothing, put bit oil down the cyxlinder to bump compression nothing, tried both the keys for immobiliser nothing, it's honestly just seeming lime the ecu has cacked it, but any other suggestions please, this has got me stumped as a hd fitter, had a lv mechanic mate and he's stumped, no fault codes, no nothing
Kinda obvious, and I am guessing you already did this and forgot to tell us, but have you done a compression check yet?

Henderson576

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pack Commodore 5SPD l36
Kinda obvious, and I am guessing you already did this and forgot to tell us, but have you done a compression check yet?
Havnt had a compression test done, due to the fact of the sudden just stopping and failing to stsrt again, be hard to believe that all 6 cyclinders have suddenly dropped compression

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Havnt had a compression test done, due to the fact of the sudden just stopping and failing to stsrt again, be hard to believe that all 6 cyclinders have suddenly dropped compression
You’re not looking for 6 dropped cylinders. You’re looking to confirm engine compression is good. It eliminates a possible cause with factual information.

Reactions: Lex

Henderson576

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pack Commodore 5SPD l36
You’re not looking for 6 dropped cylinders. You’re looking to confirm engine compression is good. It eliminates a possible cause with factual information.
Can almost guarantee compression is down. But shouldn't be that bad to completely prevent startup. Currently in the process of verifying timing. If not I'll just drop another engine in and try that.