Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy v8 cai

WestieZBRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 AWD RS-V Commodore
Gents,

Can anyone give me a no BS and non-biased assessment on the SS Inductions CAI for the V8?

Are they any good? Do they perform as well as they advertise?

Im trying to keep everything looking as stock as possible while getting the maximum power/usage from what ever I use.

Cheers,

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Hi, I fitted a bigmouth CAI to my VY SS and found it to work well but it wasn't until I modified the Grill by removing the center that the CAI can to life and have notice a remarkable increase in the power I now have due to the forced air ram sitting behind the grill getting a hell off alot more cold air.

Apart from the CAI bigmouth kit I fitted a highly modified Brock shop MAF Meter & 300Klw MAF pipe so all together I would say I am happy with the CAI as I wanted to keep the stock look for insurance and not go MAFLESS due to QLD Transport or the police legal issues

There are plenty of posts on this forum about MAF or MAFLESS and the legal issues that can come from the latter.

But all in all I would say the SS Inductions CAI bigmouth did the trick for me...but each to his own.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Mate SS Inductions is called SS Reductions for a reason :). You won't find much support for them on this forum.
Get an OTR (not legal but heaps of people run them, myself included and never any problems) + mafless tune. If you don't want to go that way, do the 2 hole mod to your current air box. If your still set on SS Inductions, i have an SS Inductions Growler intake which i could do for you for a reasonable price.

Adam

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate SS Inductions is called SS Reductions for a reason :). You won't find much support for them on this forum.
Get an OTR (not legal but heaps of people run them, myself included and never any problems) + mafless tune. If you don't want to go that way, do the 2 hole mod to your current air box. If your still set on SS Inductions, i have an SS Inductions Growler intake which i could do for you for a reasonable price.

Adam

While ADAMC11 has a point about personal choice I did notice the CAI worked a hell of lot better once it was getting air into it, I spent months pouring over all the different posts on the forum regarding CAI and decided that if I was going to go with a MAF tune then the CAI had to work. I spent a great deal of money on getting the cold air into the engine and extracting the hot air out and while I could have gone done the OTR path my sons experience recently with the QLD police and his VX SS OTR soured my taste for OTR's as he's car was defected for having one.

Again I am not saying SS Inductions are perfect but they work if you redesign the air flow, 2 hole mods are great as well and if you have the funds for a MAFLESS Tune & OTR then by all means go for it....it's all about personal choice and what you want out of the V8.

I would advise doing what I did and run a search on the forum for CAI, OTR...etc and then its up to you what you decide to do but honestly between my VYSS with MAF + bigmouth & my sons VX SS MAFLESS OTR we have found very little difference at this point, fuel economy is about the same, power & performance are about the same....they still both burn through rear tyres....hehehehehe

Check out these posts re: the front-end redesign of my VY SS

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...92427-anyone-modded-there-vy-exec-grille.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/92246-bonnet-flutes.html

WestieZBRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 AWD RS-V Commodore
The biggest worry of mine is the legality of the OTR.....being the son of a cop (don't worry, haven't spoken to him in years), im not particularly interested in having my car defected. I know the chances are slim if the OTR has a stock look to it and the way i drive (now) wont attract too much attention, but after being pulled over for doing 115 in an 80 zone, I am trying to limit my illegalities.

So basically I can gather that SS ind CAI out 'out of the box' is shite?

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldm't say sh*t but they do need a little help to gain their full operational concept....by the sounds off it you may want o investgate the two hole mod.

Check out aliens post on his CAI