Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Wagon - V6 Upgrades?

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
I've had a bit of a search around the net but theres not a lot of info about any upgrades to the stocko 152kw V6. I've got an Acclaim wagon and I've done the wheels and FE2 suspension, but just want to have a bit more go, without spending the money on a supercharger or voiding my warranty (only 14 months old). I was thinking perhaps a new intake (pod or cold air, I've been told the intake of something like the CV6 or XU6 would be a good (easy) choice) and a new exhaust but everyone seems to umm and err a bit when I start mentioning power gains and warranty. Seems more people do the exhaust thing now just to make their car loud...I don't want loud, I just want some power gain. I looked at getting the car power chipped but it seems I could probably spend my $1000 on something else and get more than 15KW extra.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do or where to go for some advice?

D

detached

I know you say you don't want a supercharger.

But I say get the stocko supercharger.

boosts ya kw to 171kw I think. Maybe more on the VY, plus its power on demand.

I've driven a few, awesome engine! rad sound too.

stocko charger all the way.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
a 2 1/2 exaust will give you a bit more power but not alot C.A.I will do the same thing.

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
You can do the cold air intake mod yourself, check out the post's in the VX section. The photo's Griggsy's put up about the cold air mod we did together, to his car and mine. Made a nice difference around the 4 grand onwards mark.

As for the exhaust, save yourself the money, just cut off the rear muffler and replace it with a straight through. I put Pacemakers and a 2 1/2" cat back on my VX v6 auto and it did diddly squat

There's a thread in the VX section on this as well.

Hope this helps

J

Jaime S.

The stock Supercharged ECOTEC pumps out 171kW in the VY.

Personally, I think it's a disgrace that you can't get a Manual Wagon anymore! But hey, with the VZ, new engine, new possibilities.

Cheers,
Jaime S.

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Thanks for your comments. I spoke to someone who works at NoiseWorks up here, and they said if I get some good headers, a cold air intake (with a pod) and a new exhaust I could expect a minimum increase of 50kw once my ECU adjusted...which would put me up around the 200kw mark, and they reckon i'd get change out of $3000. Any opinions if those type of increases are actually possible?

Re the VZ, I thought I read the VZ is just going to be another gap-filler based on the VY (so still the buick 6 and genIII V8), and that the next fully new commo will be the VE(?) in late 2006?

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
Regarding tuning the ECU on the VY Ecotech's, I rang Chip Torque on the Gold Coast and spoke to the bloke that actually does all the tuning, explained to him what car i had and what i'd done, said that i wanted to have it all tuned and he tell's me that he had a VX V6 auto, like mine, in a while back with the exact same mod's.
Said that everything he tried made no difference, not a damn thing. He pulled the pin on doing the job because there wasn't any point in wasting time getting no-where. I asked him if he thought holden had hit the nail on the head in regards to the tuning and his reply was "yep".
After hearing this i have no longer persued the idea any further, so maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, i don't know, but take everything you here and decide if it sounds to good to be true.
Like i said before, i put Pacemaker extractors and 2 1/2" cat back exhaust on my VX and went to the drags to measure the difference, and guess what, there was no improvement, none at all. And i'm a meticulous bastard, have to have everything perfect, so this is no ****-house exhaust system.
Want gains, spend your money on diff gears, if i had to start again with this car, thats where i'd go first.
I hope i don't sound too much like someone's over-bearing father, but i hate seeing people throw money around on something when you know it won't work.

C

Commodoresilva

No Boeing, you're wrong. The VZ will definately have the HFV6 seeing they've been making the engine since November. The 2006 VE will have an all-new car not the V6. The Gen IV Chevy V8 will debut in the VE aswell.